I put out a request for quick dinner ideas -something that wouldn’t take that much work, but would be healthy and delicious and maybe my son could do it. Crockpot suggestions came in, but I knew my son couldn’t be trusted to stop and think that far in advance. Crockpot was out for him, but on my day to cook, it’s always a welcome suggestion. Jenn Fowler suggested Salsa Chicken – and knowing the way my family feels about salsa, I was ready to try it out.
Unfortunately, the cupboards were not fully stocked, so a few substitutions were made. The dish came out a little less mexican, and a little more health nutty, but it was delicious. Instead of black beans, garbanzos aka-chick peas were used. Then instead of rice, some wheat berries were made in the rice cooker (brown rice setting) and gave the dish a nuttier flavor. The wheat berries and salsa chicken was served on top of some butter lettuce and arugula. A little white cheddar (from a local farm market) was grated over top and then avocado slices as a finishing touch.
Jenn has a lot of different variations and serving suggestions, so take a look at her Salsa Chicken. She also has a lot of other cool crockpot meals to try out.
Here’s my variation of her salsa chicken:
- 2 large chicken breasts
- 2 jars home made salsa.
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 can garbanzo beans
- 2 cups wheat berries
- shredded white cheddar
- avocado slices
- Layer first four ingredients in crockpot and cook on low 6 – 8 hours.
- Use rice cooker to make wheat berries adding water according to the directions.
- Shred chicken and put back in with the rest of the crockpot ingredients.
- Plate up – layer lettuce, wheat berries, salsa chicken, cheese and avocado slices.
Related posts you might also like:
- Barbecue Chicken & Salsa Lettuce Wraps
- Chicken, Broccoli and Rice
- Pumpkin, Chard and White Bean Soup
- Crockpot Barbecued Chicken Dinner – Excellent Rating From My Son
- Grilled Turkey and Avocado Salad
- Chicken & Summer Vegetables Over Rice
- Healthy Home Cooking for Kids & Tuna Wrap Roll Recipe
- Grilled Chicken, Prosciutto, Avocado Sandwich
- Cobb Salad and Mother’s Day – They Go Together
- Put Zing in Your Turkey Day Leftovers with Salsa