When I saw the title – Baking Basics – I thought it was a tutorial type book teaching baking from the ground up – like a textbook. I was wrong, this is more about simple and basic baking, that anyone can do. Mostly desserts, these dishes are easy but delicious. Most of the recipes are one or two pages, but there are a couple of longer ones. The ingredients can be found in most pantries and are used in more than one recipe with a few surprises here and there. I received a copy of Baking Basics and Beyond by Pat Sinclair to use for a review.
As a food consultant and recipe editor, Pat Sinclair knows how to put together great recipes. The book starts out with basic baking instruction, that is used throughout. Sprinkled here and there all through the book are tips and tricks. This is all in addition to great recipes. The recipes include biscuits and breads, coffee cakes, brownies, crisps , custards, cheesecakes, cakes, pies and yeast breads.
There are nice photos, though not a photo for every single recipe but for quite a few. The pages are glossy, with easy to read print – which I find is very necessary these days. The measurements are shown two ways – one is the metric conversion in case you need it.
All of the recipes are really good for the novice baker or someone who just enjoys baking tasty desserts. I recommend this for a college kid, someone starting out, a homemaker who would like to bake for the family and anyone who would like to do some basic baking.
I tried out some recipes, in my next post, I’m going to share Fresh Strawberry pie – the perfect Mother’s Day dessert this year since strawberries are at their peak right now.
Related posts you might also like:
- Crazy About Cookies by Krystina Castella
- New Orleans Classic Gumbos & Soups
- Sauces by Michael Roux
- Italian Cookbook Roundup
- Book Review Week – The Vegan Cook’s Bible by Pat Crocker
- CanolaInfo.Org & The Heart Smart Diabetes Kitchen – Great Heart Healthy Cooking Oil Recipes
- Tomato – A Fresh From The Vine Cookbook by Lawrence Davis-Hollander
- The 150 Healthiest 15-Minute Recipes On Earth
- Holiday Gifts : Highly Recommended Books for the Foodie you love
- Ducasse Made Simple by Sophie