This week in Cookerati Food News a few contests, a wine and dine event, a workshop in Queensland and Taste of Cincinnati. Enjoy!
- Enter to win The Batali Brothers Cookbook Sweepstakes - The contest is sponsored by Harper Collins and includes a round trip to New York City and a meet and great with Mario Batali on The Chew set – as well as a signed cookbook. Last Day to Enter is May 29th.
- Earth Balance is hosting a Spring to Life Recipe Contest. Grand Prize is a trip to Oregon, other prize winners receive one year supply of Earth Balance Products and gift packs. May 20th is the last day to enter.
- Wine and Dine at Papermoon Vineyards – take a tour of the vineyard, sip some wines and enjoy a wine and tapas dinner pairing prepared by Johnny Schulze of Zydeco Bistro Food Truck. This event takes place May 23rd st Papermoon Vineyards in Vermilion, OH – 50.00 per person.
- The Food Tales, Food Styling and Photography Workshop I mentioned last week, has changed it’s date, so you can still get it in on it. New Date is June 22, 2013 in Queensland.
- Idaho Potato has launched the Big Idaho Potato Tour once again. It’s a seven month tour to promote Idaho Potatoes and support Meals on Wheels Association of America . Keep up with them on the Big Idaho Potato Tour Facebook Page or on their Big Idaho Potato website.
- Since we like truck tours, and we like Ben and Jerry’s, we’re happy to bring you another Ben & Jerry’s Truck Tour in 2013. I would like to encourage Ben and Jerry’s to recognize the rest of the country and hit the midwest states. I think they could make it to Cleveland without burning up this time. Just a thought…
- Join the Sunshine Coast Team and learn about Food Styling, Writing, Blogging, Graphic Design and Photography. This gathering is in Queensland, Australia. Meet photographer Chris Kass, chef Peter Brettell, the Orgasmic Chef Maureen Shaw and graphic artist Julie Fiedler at Food Styling, Food Tales and Food Photography Workshop on May 11th 10:00 am – 2:30 pm.
- Carla Hall’s Lounge is sold out …. for the Cooking Solutions event at the Monterey Bay Aquarium and there are a few other fun sold out things going on, but there are still a bunch more fun things open and if you look on Sunday morning- you could have breakfast with Carla Hall while you discover ways to help save the ocean one meal at a time.
- Ming Tsai and Whoopi Goldberg got together to talk about cooking in The Cooking Channel’s Masters Series. This week, April 23rd and 27th they are reshowing this delightful program. Check it out.
- Sunmaid Raisin and Gooseberry Patch have created a kid friendly recipe book – Sun-Maid Recipes for Healthier Eating. The really good news is that it’s free.
- Ball – the company that brings you those very useful canning jars has a list of canning classes. Check to see if you can find any in your area on their Fresh Preserving Site. Also included in the list is the State Cooperative Extension website link.
- Village Harvest Rice is holding a Facebook Photo Contest. Take your best original pictures of your favorite rice dishes that use the varieties of rice/grain that Village Harvest offers and submit them. Entry submission is through May 31, 2013. Grand Prize is an international trip valued at 7,500.00.
- Congrats to Chef Tricia Wheeler of Edible Columbus for getting The Seasoned Farmhouse going in Clintonville, OH. Looks like there will be a lot of great classes for cooking, gardening and special events.
- Nestle Crunch – 75th Anniversary Showdown. Vote on the best bakery dessert, every vote is a chance to win a Nestle Crunch Bar with their instant win app.
- California Avocado Commission has a nice treat for us – a Spring Brochure with avocado recipes for you to download.
- Pompeian is holding a facebook Time to Change Your Oil Recipe Contest – Enter your re-imaged recipe using Pompeian Grapeseed or Mediterranean Blend for a chance to win an all expense paid trip to Blog Her ’13 and a chance to be featured with Pompeian for the trip. Hungry Girl Lisa Lillien will be one of the judges.
- So do you think you can do airline food better? Cathay Pacific Airways wants to see it. They’re holding a Noodles of Asia contest. First you enter your information on their Facebook page, then repin their Noodles of Asia Contest to your pinterest page. Then you create and pin to your pinterest board – your asian …
- If you are looking for deviled egg ideas – go to Cookerati.com for a link up of deviled egg recipes. Let me know if you have a good one not on the list and I’ll add it if it fits.
- KFC now has Li’l Bucket Kids Meals - It comes with your choice of chicken and a side, plus go go squeeze applesauce and a drink. The bucket itself has games around the side, and jokes and is kind of cute. KFC is also hosting the KFC Ultimate Playground Experience Sweepstakes from now through April 30th. Additionally, for Facebook friends, KFC is launching the KFC TLC for Neighborhood Playgrounds which starts March 28th. You tell them which neighborhood playground you think needs a little tender loving care by KFC. There are also ways to enter by submitting photos and videos via Twitter Vine and Instagram by using hashtag #KFCPlaygrounds.
- The Neely’s will be on QVC.com tonight(Monday, March 25th) at 5 pm. On their own Neely’s Home Cooking, Patrick and Gina Neely will be talking about their new cookware collection created for QVC.The 10-piece line includes everything from ceramic bakeware to whimsical cooking accessories in eye-catching colors …
I saw a fun photo of Deviled Egg Chicks on My Little Chicken Coop’s Facebook page, so I did a quick little round up. This will go great with my Deviled Egg Recipe Round Up Post that I repeat every Easter. If you have a fun photo of your deviled egg chicks or bunnies feel free to drop a link in the comments – usually frowned upon uninvited, but I am inviting.
Deviled Egg Chicks on Neatorama- http://www.neatorama.com/2012/03/28/deviled-egg-chicks/
Mommy’s Memorandum has a nice way to form the chick – http://mommysmemorandum.com/deviled-egg-chicks/
A different way to make deviled egg chicks without the lid. - http://www.foodwhine.com/2010/04/deviled-egg-chicks.html
Deviled Egg Bunnies -
From Papawow- these are really a cute idea - http://www.papawow.com/blog/deviled-easter-bunny-eggs.html
Angry Chicken had some bunny heads made out of olives -http://angrychicken.typepad.com/angry_chicken/2007/04/easter_part_deu.htmlDiana
- Spike Seasoning Magics is giving away free samples of their seasonings in exchange for a “like” on Facebook. There are three things you need to do. LIKE them on Facebook. Take a screenshot of the PAGE LIKE. Send the screen shot, your name and a shipping address via a direct message on Facebook. Their page has directions on how to take a screenshot of the Facebook PAGE.
- Curtis Stone has recipes featured in this week’s Saturday Evening Post. Check them out!
- Dine Originals week is going 10 days in honor of their tenth anniversary. Take a look at all of the restaurants participating in Dine Originals Week, along with some special classes, wine tastings and events.
- Here’s a nice article listing churches selling pierogies in the Cleveland area during lent – and later. Are there any churches in Columbus, OH selling pierogies? Or any other churches? Send me an email with the details and I’ll add it on here.
- A nice set of links to cooking, food and wine classes all over Ohio. Enjoy!
- Bobby Flay ousted Michael Symon as the People’s Choice for the South Beach Burger Bash last night. Jeff Mauro “The Sandwich King” was the judges’ first choice and other South Beach Wine and Food Festival News.
- Voluntary recall on 5lb bags King Arthur Flour due to small polyurethane balls.
Small, polyurethane balls approximately 7mm to 9mm (1/4″ to 3/8″) in size may have dropped into bags during the final sifting stage of the milling process. The balls have a smooth surface and no sharp edges and are made from food grade material. Because of their bright blue color and size (about half the diameter of a dime), they are easily seen in the flour.
Any affected products may be returned for a full refund. For more information call the King Arthur Flour Consumer Hotline at 866 797 9178, open Monday-Friday, 9am-6pm EST.
- Chef Homaro Cantu of Bread and Wine will be swapping kitchens with Curtis Gamble’s iNG in Chicago. On Tuesday, March 12th and Wednesday, March 13 Chef Cantu will bring a 5 course Iron Chef menu to Ing while Chef Gamble will bring his Farm to Table approach to Bread and Wine. Pretty cool idea. Reservations can …
- Stonefire Authentic Flatbreads is hosting it’s own Oscar Party – or rather Oscar sweepstakes on their Stonefire Flatbreads Facebook Page. Tell them which actor or actress is most like their flatbread for a chance to win a 40 in. Flatscreen TV.
- Crumbs Bakery has paired up with the Girl Scouts for a limited time through Feb 22, 2013. It is available at all twenty two locations and also online.
Devil’s food cake filled with fudge and topped with mint cream cheese frosting edged in chocolate cake crumbs with a Girl Scout Thin Mints® cookie in the center.
- For a limited time KFC has it’s Chicken Pot Pie for 3.99 right now. KFC has teamed up with Dr Pepper® to provide the ultimate red carpet experience to one lucky winner. To enter add a medium Dr Pepper to your Chicken Pot Pie or any order and text the code on the cup to www.kfc.com/register by Feb 28, 2013.
- Roger Mooking is gearing up for his second season of Man Fire Food on the Cooking Channel. Looks fun.
- Florida Grapefruit is holding a Juicy Scoop Recipe Photo Contest. They’re looking for a grapefruit …
- Tabasco is putting out a commemorative bottle to celebrate “the big game” in the Big Easy. The purple, green and gold accented football themed bottle is available at Tobasco.com. A portion of the proceeds from this limited edition bottle will be donated to Taste of NFL to help address the needs of the hungry and homeless in America.
- Celebrity Chefs share their winter recipes in the January/February Issue of The Saturday Evening Post online and in the newsstand. Emeril Lagasse, Melissa D’Arabian, Ellie Krieger, Curtis Stone and Terry Walters share some great soup recipes, perfect for these cold winter days.
- Muir Glen Fire Roasted Tomatoes has received the seal of approval from Bon Appetit Magazine. Fire Roasted Tomatoes were recently included on the inaugural list of recipients for the Bon Appétit Seal of Approval; an honor bestowed upon cooking’s finest ingredients.
- Psst – Don’t tell my husband a diehard Steeler’s fan that I’m posting this - Executive Chef Ben Erjavec from Sullivan’s Steakhouse in Baltimore has the pleasure of assisting with the Raven’s home pre-game rituals by preparing a hearty and delicious meal for many of the players before every home game. One of the …