I saw a fun photo of Deviled Egg Chicks on My Little Chicken Coop’s Facebook page, so I did a quick little round up. This will go great with my Deviled Egg Recipe Round Up Post that I repeat every Easter. If you have a fun photo of your deviled egg chicks or bunnies feel free to drop a link in the comments – usually frowned upon uninvited, but I am inviting.
Deviled Egg Chicks on Neatorama- http://www.neatorama.com/2012/03/28/deviled-egg-chicks/
Mommy’s Memorandum has a nice way to form the chick – http://mommysmemorandum.com/deviled-egg-chicks/
A different way to make deviled egg chicks without the lid. - http://www.foodwhine.com/2010/04/deviled-egg-chicks.html
Deviled Egg Bunnies -
From Papawow- these are really a cute idea - http://www.papawow.com/blog/deviled-easter-bunny-eggs.html
Angry Chicken had some bunny heads made out of olives -http://angrychicken.typepad.com/angry_chicken/2007/04/easter_part_deu.htmlDiana
- Bobby Flay ousted Michael Symon as the People’s Choice for the South Beach Burger Bash last night. Jeff Mauro “The Sandwich King” was the judges’ first choice and other South Beach Wine and Food Festival News.
- Voluntary recall on 5lb bags King Arthur Flour due to small polyurethane balls.
Small, polyurethane balls approximately 7mm to 9mm (1/4″ to 3/8″) in size may have dropped into bags during the final sifting stage of the milling process. The balls have a smooth surface and no sharp edges and are made from food grade material. Because of their bright blue color and size (about half the diameter of a dime), they are easily seen in the flour.
Any affected products may be returned for a full refund. For more information call the King Arthur Flour Consumer Hotline at 866 797 9178, open Monday-Friday, 9am-6pm EST.
- Chef Homaro Cantu of Bread and Wine will be swapping kitchens with Curtis Gamble’s iNG in Chicago. On Tuesday, March 12th and Wednesday, March 13 Chef Cantu will bring a 5 course Iron Chef menu to Ing while Chef Gamble will bring his Farm to Table approach to Bread and Wine. Pretty cool idea. Reservations can be made using Table Host.
- Fonseca a leading Port producer held their first Bin 27 Port and Cookie rumble. Maureen Dudgeon of Kansas City, MO, won the grand prize for her “Portofignos” cookie creation. The recipes were judged by Jacques Torres and Dorie Greenspan. One of the prizes is private cooking lessons with Jacques and Dorie along with Kitchen Aid prizes.
- The voting has begun for the fifth finalist that will compete in the live Manischewitz Cook-off March 21, 2013. Weigh in by voting on your favorite recipe/competitor.
- T-Fal is hosting a #OprahlovesActifry give away - to enter – post on ActiFry’s Facebook Page or Tweet @ActiFry and share how you think the ActiFry can change your life, making sure to include #OprahLovesActiFry. Deadline for entries February 28th, 2013.
- Frigidaire has a time machine – if you become a Facebook Fan of the Frigidaire Time Machine Sweepstakes. You could have a chance to win a full sweet of Frigidaire Appliances. They also have a bunch of holiday cards to send out to your family and friends.
- Delaware North Companies are donating $1 million to the Say Yes Buffalo Campaign to help increase graduation rates, and post-secondary school enrollment in the Buffalo area. Delaware North operates many of the sports arena, state and national parks food and hospitality venues.
- The Chilean Avocado Importers Association is hosting a “Bravo For Avocado From Chile” recipe contest. There are two divisions for entry – Home Cooks or Culinary Students. Grand prize winner from each will will 1,000.00. Do you have an innovative way to prepare your dish with Haas Avocados?
- The Handle Bar is opening in Jackson Hole, Wyoming – Teton Village.
The Handle Bar will feature a casual and accessible menu filled with burgers, sausages, comforting bar snacks and a vast bar menu. With sweeping mountain views and a five-hour Après Ski happy hour, The Handle Bar is sure to draw an energetic crowd of locals and visitors looking to unwind, drink and snack with friends or family after a day on the slopes or adventuring the Teton Mountains.
- Enter the 7th Annual Man-O Manischewitz Cookoff for a chance to win $25,000.00 Grand Prize Package including a Maytag Appliances.
- Pick up a Chanukah House Decorating Kit and enter the Manischewitz Facebook Page Decorating Contest for a chance at the 500.00 prize.
On today’s list are things foodie that you might be interested in. I get alerts on different food shows, webisodes, apps, etc. So, I’ve compiled a list you might be interested in this week.
- WIGS is a drama channel on Youtube that has compelling women’s stories. Audrey, a new series that starts on Monday – is about a woman who is a foodie. I’ve looked at some of the webisodes and I think they’re well done though some are NSFW/NSFC (not safe for work/children) and Audrey is in the Sex in the City style – which I have enjoyed.
Audrey tells the funny story of a food-obsessed woman who tries to rise up the ranks in the culinary world, but her appetite for both love and haute cuisine complicates her journey. Audrey was written by Leah Rachel and directed by Betty Thomas (Private Parts). The series also stars Bobby Campo (The Final Destination), Arielle Kebbel (The Vampire Diaries) and Gary Cole (Office Space) and launches on WIGS Monday, October 29 with new episodes posting Mondays and Fridays through November 16.
Here’s a clip: Audrey Clip YouTube WIGS
- Today is HSN’s 24 hour Holiday Cooks Event. Cat Cora, Emeril Lagasse and Padma Lakshmi will all be in attendance. I’ll be watching to see what holiday gifts I can grab up.
- Cook Taste Eat brings us free instructional videos online. More videos are being added all of the time as they build up their library. 365 videos a year to teach you the hows and whys of cooking.
- Don’t forget Tuesdays at 10pm is Chef Race on BBC America. US has the advantage over the UK in numbers right now.
- Shinae Choi Robinson does great Google + Cookalongs (hangouts). Tomorrow’s is Ceviche and Arroz Con Pollo.
- Appletizing Apple Pairings - the U.S. Apple Association would like you to enter your favorite apple pairing using one of their sponsors products to their facebook page contest. Last day to enter is October 31, 2012, so get your entries in now. Grand Prize is a 500.00 Visa Gift Card.
- Chicago’s Pastry Chef Alain Roby is attempting his third Guiness World Record – this time for the longest Candy Cane.
The candy cane will stretch 40 ft., beginning at the Geneva Courthouse and stretching to the intersection in front of his All Chocolate Kitchen at 33 South Third Street. Residents, neighbors and friends are invited to join Mayor Kevin R. Burns and watch Chef Roby as he pulls sugar down festive Third Street. Holder of two Guinness World Records including World’s Tallest Cooked Sugar Building and World’s Tallest Chocolate Sculpture, Chef Roby’s attempt for a three-peat record will set him over the top as the only pastry chef to hold three Guinness World Records. His award-winning cooked sugar building was 12 feet, 10 inches tall and chocolate sculpture was 20 feet, 8 inches tall.
- Idaho Potatoes has a monthly Pinterest recipe photo contest going on. This month’s contest ends October 29th. Basically, you find the recipe of the month, prepare it, photograph it, pin it and let them know that you did it. The winner recieves 250.00 around the first week of the next month. Right now, for October there are two entries – it might be a good time to try it out.
- Redwood Hill Farm & Creamery is holding a Vote Goat Facebook contest – tell them why you like their product, use photos and or words to tell them what you like best about Redwood Hill Farm and Creamery products.
Show us how you enjoy our creamy, healthful & naturally delicious yogurt. Feature your kids, any family members & friends, pets too! MOST IMPORTANT: including our YOGURT CUP in the pic. Recipes encouraged too! Winners EVERYDAY beginning Tues. 10/9 thru Tues. 11/6.
- Hodson Mills is hosting a Win a Grain Holiday Contest. Easiest contest ever, just enter your email address. The contest runs through December 31, 2012.
Fifty (50) Grand Prizes: Each winner will receive their choice of either a Hodgson Mill Whole Grain Gift Pack, or Hodgson Mill Gluten Free gift pack; approximate Retail Value (“ARV”) of each Grand Prize: $85.00.
- What I’m trying - Newman’s Own Ginger O’s. Not a sponsored review but something my husband and I picked up when we were in the Outerbanks and we are hooked. Crisp outer ginger cookie, cream in the middle. Really good stuff.
Lots of good stuff right now, enjoy!
- Sterling Vineyards along with Top Chef’s Padma Laksmi are hosting the Ultimate Host contest. The Sterling Ultimate Host contest is a search for the host or hostess who can handle any affair with the right amount of flair originality and creativity. Learn more by going to the Sterling Vineyards Facebook page. There are four challenges and you’ve missed the first one, so hurry to get into the next challenge.
- St Francis Winery is holding it’s first “Say Cheese” grilled cheese recipe contest. The contest will be judged by The Cooking Channel’s Jason Sobocinski of “The Big Cheese” and Katie Madigan, winemaker at St. Francis. The contest is hosted on St. Francis’ facebook page and will run through November 30, 2012.
- The renowned Port House – The Fonseca is hosting a “Bin 27 Port and Cookie Rumble” Contest. Cookie lovers are invited to submit their favorite, original cookie recipe that pairs best with BIN 27 Port, for a chance to win prizes. To enter upload the recipe, along with a photo, to the BIN 27 Facebook page. Here’s the important part – judges are Jacques Torres and Dorie Greenspan. Seriously Folks! The contest runs through December 31, 2012.
- Delysia Chocolatier took home two silver medals and one bronze medal from the Chocolate Salon Bridal Awards presented by Taste TV and Chocolate Television. The Silver awards were for Best Milk Chocolate, and Best for the Wedding Reception, while the bronze was for Best Dark Chocolate.
- Lays Potato Chips along with Michael Symon and Eva Longoria are hosting a “Lays Do Us A Flavor Contest” Come up with a new flavor for Lays Potato Chips – daily prizes and big 1million dollar winner.
- Here’s a coupon for .75 off Spike Seasoning. They are also offering to send another one to any foodblog, forum or social network that uses spike seasoning and posts a photo of it. Send a screenshot or link of the post to: ModernFearn@AOL.com
- Martha Stewart Shows and Emeril’s Table on Hulu. If you have Hulu, you’ve got some awesome cooking shows.
- Get Ready for Kosherfest - not only is it going to highlight Kosher foods and companies – but this year there’s a lot for Kosher bloggers including – Building Your Brand’s Online Presence Via Social Media and a culinary competition by Top Kosher Chefs from the NY metropolitan area.
- Sandra Lee has two new shows. On the Food Network Sandra will have Sandra’s Restaurant Remakes starting Sunday, October 14th at 10amET/PT on Food Network. On the Cooking Channel she’ll have Sandra Lee’s Taverns, Lounges and Clubs – starting Wednesday, October 17th at 10:30pmET/7:30PT .
- Earth Balance is giving away coupons everyday; they are giving away coupons if you post a recipe and they use it, and they’ll have a member of the month, and a featured blogger. This is a great way to build up their Made Just Right community.
- Macaroni Grill, in partnership with Share Our Strength’s No Kid Hungry campaign, is doing something about childhood hunger.This is a blogger and a reader promotion.
- Bloggers - Share your favorite Italian meal (recipe, or memory of a shared meal) and we’ll connect kids to up to 500 meals to that one post. This is for bloggers only. A link to your blog will be featured on Mac Grill’s microsite www.1millionmeals.com AND, we’ll share a link to your post in our upcoming newsletter to over 1 million guests. (Please email your post to email@example.com to ensure you’re included).
- Readers – Go into the restaurant and donate $2, and get $5 off their next meal. OR – share an artist inspired image from our Mac Grill Give Facebook Gallery and we’ll help connect a kid with 1 meal.
- The Punta Mita Resort in Mexico announces Chefs and Wine Experts for the Punta Mita Gourmet & Golf Classic April 11 -14, 2013.
Confirmed participants for 2013 include celebrity chef and restaurateur Todd English; acclaimed chef and restaurateur Lula Martin del Campo, who is currently executive chef of HSBC Mexico; famed Argentinean chef Fernando Trocca; celebrated chef Enrique Olvera of Pujol in Mexico City; famed chocolatier and owner of Garrison’s Confections, Andrew Shotts; Tsuyoshi Murakami, chef and co-owner of the Kinoshita restaurant in San Paulo, Brazil; Thierry Blouet, chef and owner of Café des Artistes in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico; Abraham Salum, chef and owner of Salum restaurant in Dallas, Texas; notable sommelier and wine expert, Charlie Arturaola; and Laura Catena, fourth generation Argentinean vintner.
- National Chocolate Show(consumer) and Chicago’s Fine Chocolate Show(trade) – run from Nov 16 -18, 2012 at Chicago’s Navy Pier. Enter for a chance to win the Golden Ticket on the Chicago Fine Chocolate Facebook Page.
- Bizcastr.tv is premiering a new online web series – Food Truck Foodie.
- Wholly Guacamole is sending kids of service men and women to camp in Operation Purple. Buy at-shirt or make a donation to help out.
Being a foodie or even a food blogger isn’t a lonely single person thing to do. A lot of what we do, is for a group whether for people we are eating with, the people we are cooking for, or just sharing ideas. I’ve compiled a list of different foodie activities, some are for bloggers, but not all, some are for blog readers as well or just foodies who want to join in. Try some of these recipe round ups and blog link ups or all of them – join in, being a foodie is a participatory thing, you just can’t sit on the side and be served food to try – that would make you a critic and we’re not into criticism here, we’re into fun.
Meatless Monday – Started as a way to highlight meatless meals - encouraging and sharing meatless meals on your blog to join in.
Tuesdays With Dorie - Tuesdays with Dorie has a few rules – one being you have to have Baking with Julia by Dorie Greenspan. Another is that you always post on Tuesdays – and you have to post at least once in the month. There are a few more, but the challenges are tasty.
Tiny Tip Tuesday (Nature’s Nurture) – Nature’s Nurture hosts a blog hop on Tuesdays – you link up with a post that has a tip – on Tuesdays. The posts that get the most links will be featured as one of the top three, the next week. I’ve participated in this when I have a tip to share.
Wordless Wednesday - One of the most well known Foodie Memes – post photos on your blog instead of words. I know someone who thinks it’s a way to avoid writing a post, but it’s one of my favorite. I truly believe photos say a lot about you.
Pink Polka Dot Food’s Friday Food Quiz - Pink Polka Dot challenges you with questions – and you answer on your blog. It’s for fun – no prizes but you learn quite a bit with this challenge.
French Fridays with Dorie - Purchase Dorie Greenspan’s Around My French Table – Cook the french recipe of the week and post on Friday.
Foodie Friends Friday – is a link up with blog posts. The posts are voted on and the top three usually win a small prize, like a bag of granola.
Foodie Pen Pals – is not just for bloggers. On the 5th of the month, you receive your pen pal name, and on the 15th you mail out a box with food related items – treats, local food items – the total should be 15.00, which is pretty inexpensive.
The Secret Recipe Club - This is for bloggers - You are given a name, and you go to their blog and pick out a recipe to try. You don’t know the blog you are going to do until you get an email, and then it’s a surprise to see who is preparing your recipe. There’s a blog hop on the designated date to reveal the recipes.
Gooseberry Patch Recipe Round up - Gooseberry Patch sponsors a round up every week based on a food theme. If you don’t have a blog you can add yours in the comments. Fridays – the round up is closed, and Sunday they announce who had the most clicks.
The Lady Behind The Curtain – has the mother of all Link Party Listings – It’s a huge listing if you are looking to link to other foodies, or foodie link parties.
Really there’s no reason to hang out waiting to find other foodies when you can join in on linking up and trying out recipes, join in the fun…I wonder if Sharon is thinking of starting Culinary Smackdown back up
- The Food Network Show – Chopped is looking for people to compete on their special shows. Fill out the application and submit. Themes are Moms, Military, Family Feud, Teens, etc.
- Gooseberry Patch came up with a new ebook specially formulated to fit color tablets. Their newest cookbook 5-Ingredient Family Favorites is specially formatted for the latest color tablets, including iPad, Kindle Fire and Nook Color and Nook Tablet.
- Take the Pure Leaf Iced Tea challenge and get a chance to win a trip to the Food Network NYC Wine and Food Festival and dinner with Gail Simmons from Top Chef.
- July 30th is National Cheesecake Day - Go to Cheesecake Factory restaurants and get a slice for half off that day.
- Children’s Day at Four Seasons in NY is August 24 – and children ages 5 to 14 dine free. Reservations necessary.
- Enter the Stonefilre Naan Contest by saying what you like best about Naan.
- Wholly Guacamole and Sonic have teamed up – buy a Wholly Guac Dog and get tater tots free at Sonic through Aug 10 2012. Guac can be added to any menu item, yum.
- First up – The Wholly & Garden of Eatin’ Giveaway is over. Heidi was the winner – a big thanks to everyone who participated (all 4 of you!). I hope the rest of you picked up some coupons. Also, I participated in the Culinary Smackdown – Battle Cabbage and came out in the top 3 with my Lamb Cabbage Rolls. Pretty cool!
- March 4th (today), 9-10 pm – Oprah is embarking on a new Prime Time Series on her network called Oprah’s Next Chapter. This episode she and Gayle King visit Paula Deen.
After an exclusive, in-depth tour of her home, the “Queen of Southern Cuisine” takes Oprah and Gayle on some of her favorite backyard adventures. Dressed in their pajamas and rubber boots, the ladies bait their hooks and hit the catfish pond with bamboo fishing rods. They pick fresh eggs and check out the hens in Paula’s unbelievable chicken coop. Then, they sit down for a rare, revealing and intimate interview in Paula’s historic dock house. An emotional Paula talks about her private and debilitating struggle with agoraphobia, the loss of her parents, her obsession with her own death, her tumultuous first marriage, subsequent divorce and how she found the strength to overcome it all. Later, Paula introduces her husband Michael Groover, her brother Bubba Hiers, her Aunt Peggy and her TV personality and cookbook author sons, Jamie Deen and Bobby Deen as they all enjoy brunch. At the table, Oprah asks Paula’s sons what it’s like working for their famous mother and they don’t hold back. Paula also talks about her ten-year affair with a married man and preparing herself for love with her second husband.
If you miss it at 9:00, it will be repeated at 11:00 and you can search OWN tv schedule for other show times.
- Stonefire Authentic Flatbread is having a facebook contest. Vote to help choose their next flavor of Naan – Sweet Chile, Black Peppercorn or Rosemary and you are entered for a chance to win. Last date to enter March 6, 2012.
- Idaho Potato Commission is giving away a diamond solitaire necklace for their 75th anniversary. Go to their facebook page to enter the contest. The sweepstake ends – March 26, 2012 @ 05:00 pm (PDT) .
- A new ap – OUKosher – helps you find Orthodox Union Certified updates on Kosher products.
- Where is LeRoy? If you like LeRoy’s flavored ketchup, enter their contest to stage a photo of LeRoy’s ketchup. Winners get bottles of LeRoy’s with a grandprize winner in November receiving a grocery gift card.