I chose mint as the theme for this month’s culinary smackdown – see the rules in a previous post. Basically you enter your recipe in the smackdown, then I choose a winner with a roundup of all the recipes. The next winner gets to host next month’s smackdown and choose next month’s ingredient or theme.
Since I’ve been on vacation for the last ten days in Crawford, Co, I am going to reshare my drink of 2011 – Peach Mint Vodka Cocktail. I still need to come up with this year’s drink, this is a good one though and it has yummy mint. Link up below with your minty entries. I am extending the date to the 3rd since I won’t be home until then anyway. I will choose the winner and post on the 4th.
Here it is:
- 1 Juicy peach
- 1 big handful of mint leaves
- 3 ounces of vodka
- Lemon Lime Soda or Ginger Ale
- Slice a peach into a pint jar.
- Throw in mint plus some vodka (OYO again) to soak.
- Mash it up with a spoon, then let it sit for a few minutes for the flavors to blend.
- Pour into a cocktail shaker with ice and shake.
- Divide into glasses and add a little of your favorite sparkly soda (like a lemon lime or ginger ale).
I won last month’s Culinary Smackdown, so this month (June) I get to pick the ingredient, cooking style, whatever, and hope you guys won’t abandon me, but will join in the smackdown. Mint is something I’m trying to cultivate on my property along the hill going up the side of my house. My daughter has been helping to plant and my son has been mowing it down every so often when he doesn’t pay attention. Not to worry, most of the time it comes back. Mint is difficult to kill off, notorious for spreading beyond where you want it to be.
I first fell in love with mint in college. I had an apartment in the basement of a house with an outside door and a little landing. Next to the landing was a small plot of dirt that someone planted with mint. I loved sitting on the steps in the sun reading a book and swishing my hand through the mint while the aroma drifted up all around me, so pleasing, relaxing and soothing.
I have a few recipes I’ve come up with, but since I’m going to let my mint spread with wild abandon on the hill, I’m looking for what I can do with my mint that I haven’t done yet. Inspire me to create more minty dishes please. When I was on my tour of Ben & Jerry’s, it was suggested that mint was a polarizing flavor, people love it or hate it, there isn’t an in between. So, I offer you this as a compromise. While I would like our recipes to focus on MINT, I will also accept without prejudice any plant from the MINT FAMILY(Lamiaceae) – you may be surprised at how extensive the list is.
I’m stealing the list of rules (with minor alterations) from Grumpy Granny, because she knows how to do it right. Any blogger can join in – we are a fun friendly group, this was only my third try since I met Eggie at a Blogger Beerfest in Cincinnati, so feel free to join in with a post.
The veterans know the rules but for any new folks who are thinking of playing, here’s how it works:
1. Prepare a dish, drink, dessert, appetizer, etc using mint or something from the mint family.
2. Post at least one photo and as much description as care to on your blog, then come back and leave a comment here letting everyone know you’re “up.” If you don’t have a blog, email me, and I’ll do my best to include you. Email is dhcookerati AT gmail DOT com.
3. Recipes are helpful but not required. If you base your dish on a recipe you found elsewhere, please do the right thing and credit/link to the source. If you have a recipe great, if you just throw something together, an idea of what you did and what you used would be great too.
4. Deadline is June 30, 2012. Post a link here in the comments and I’ll gather them together in one post.
5. I will make my own dish but it will not be a contender. I will have the final say as to the winner to whom the Culinary Smackdown torch will be passed, and I will post the results as soon as I can, though I may need a couple of days grace since I will be on vacation until July 2.
Pass the word around, if you know someone who would like to enter encourage them to join in too. Battle Mint is on, are you a contender?