On today’s list are things foodie that you might be interested in. I get alerts on different food shows, webisodes, apps, etc. So, I’ve compiled a list you might be interested in this week.
- WIGS is a drama channel on Youtube that has compelling women’s stories. Audrey, a new series that starts on Monday – is about a woman who is a foodie. I’ve looked at some of the webisodes and I think they’re well done though some are NSFW/NSFC (not safe for work/children) and Audrey is in the Sex in the City style – which I have enjoyed.
Audrey tells the funny story of a food-obsessed woman who tries to rise up the ranks in the culinary world, but her appetite for both love and haute cuisine complicates her journey. Audrey was written by Leah Rachel and directed by Betty Thomas (Private Parts). The series also stars Bobby Campo (The Final Destination), Arielle Kebbel (The Vampire Diaries) and Gary Cole (Office Space) and launches on WIGS Monday, October 29 with new episodes posting Mondays and Fridays through November 16.
Here’s a clip: Audrey Clip YouTube WIGS
- Today is HSN’s 24 hour Holiday Cooks Event. Cat Cora, Emeril Lagasse and Padma Lakshmi will all be in attendance. I’ll be watching to see what holiday gifts I can grab up.
- Cook Taste Eat brings us free instructional videos online. More videos are being added all of the time as they build up their library. 365 videos a year to teach you the hows and whys of cooking.
- Don’t forget Tuesdays at 10pm is Chef Race on BBC America. US has the advantage over the UK in numbers right now.
- Shinae Choi Robinson does great Google + Cookalongs (hangouts). Tomorrow’s is Ceviche and Arroz Con Pollo.
Lots of good stuff right now, enjoy!
- Sterling Vineyards along with Top Chef’s Padma Laksmi are hosting the Ultimate Host contest. The Sterling Ultimate Host contest is a search for the host or hostess who can handle any affair with the right amount of flair originality and creativity. Learn more by going to the Sterling Vineyards Facebook page. There are four challenges and you’ve missed the first one, so hurry to get into the next challenge.
- St Francis Winery is holding it’s first “Say Cheese” grilled cheese recipe contest. The contest will be judged by The Cooking Channel’s Jason Sobocinski of “The Big Cheese” and Katie Madigan, winemaker at St. Francis. The contest is hosted on St. Francis’ facebook page and will run through November 30, 2012.
- The renowned Port House – The Fonseca is hosting a “Bin 27 Port and Cookie Rumble” Contest. Cookie lovers are invited to submit their favorite, original cookie recipe that pairs best with BIN 27 Port, for a chance to win prizes. To enter upload the recipe, along with a photo, to the BIN 27 Facebook page. Here’s the important part – judges are Jacques Torres and Dorie Greenspan. Seriously Folks! The contest runs through December 31, 2012.
- Delysia Chocolatier took home two silver medals and one bronze medal from the Chocolate Salon Bridal Awards presented by Taste TV and Chocolate Television. The Silver awards were for Best Milk Chocolate, and Best for the Wedding Reception, while the bronze was for Best Dark Chocolate.
- Lays Potato Chips along with Michael Symon and Eva Longoria are hosting a “Lays Do Us A Flavor Contest” Come up with a new flavor for Lays Potato Chips – daily prizes and big 1million dollar winner.
- Here’s a coupon for .75 off Spike Seasoning. They are also offering to send another one to any foodblog, forum or social network that uses spike seasoning and posts a photo of it. Send a screenshot or link of the post to: ModernFearn@AOL.com
- Martha Stewart Shows and Emeril’s Table on Hulu. If you have Hulu, you’ve got some awesome cooking shows.
- Get Ready for Kosherfest – not only is it going to highlight Kosher foods and companies – but this year there’s a lot for Kosher bloggers including – Building Your Brand’s Online Presence Via Social Media and a culinary competition by Top Kosher Chefs from the NY metropolitan area.
- Sandra Lee has two new shows. On the Food Network Sandra will have Sandra’s Restaurant Remakes starting Sunday, October 14th at 10amET/PT on Food Network. On the Cooking Channel she’ll have Sandra Lee’s Taverns, Lounges and Clubs – starting Wednesday, October 17th at 10:30pmET/7:30PT .
- First up – The Wholly & Garden of Eatin’ Giveaway is over. Heidi was the winner – a big thanks to everyone who participated (all 4 of you!). I hope the rest of you picked up some coupons. Also, I participated in the Culinary Smackdown – Battle Cabbage and came out in the top 3 with my Lamb Cabbage Rolls. Pretty cool!
- March 4th (today), 9-10 pm – Oprah is embarking on a new Prime Time Series on her network called Oprah’s Next Chapter. This episode she and Gayle King visit Paula Deen.
After an exclusive, in-depth tour of her home, the “Queen of Southern Cuisine” takes Oprah and Gayle on some of her favorite backyard adventures. Dressed in their pajamas and rubber boots, the ladies bait their hooks and hit the catfish pond with bamboo fishing rods. They pick fresh eggs and check out the hens in Paula’s unbelievable chicken coop. Then, they sit down for a rare, revealing and intimate interview in Paula’s historic dock house. An emotional Paula talks about her private and debilitating struggle with agoraphobia, the loss of her parents, her obsession with her own death, her tumultuous first marriage, subsequent divorce and how she found the strength to overcome it all. Later, Paula introduces her husband Michael Groover, her brother Bubba Hiers, her Aunt Peggy and her TV personality and cookbook author sons, Jamie Deen and Bobby Deen as they all enjoy brunch. At the table, Oprah asks Paula’s sons what it’s like working for their famous mother and they don’t hold back. Paula also talks about her ten-year affair with a married man and preparing herself for love with her second husband.
If you miss it at 9:00, it will be repeated at 11:00 and you can search OWN tv schedule for other show times.
- Stonefire Authentic Flatbread is having a facebook contest. Vote to help choose their next flavor of Naan – Sweet Chile, Black Peppercorn or Rosemary and you are entered for a chance to win. Last date to enter March 6, 2012.
- Idaho Potato Commission is giving away a diamond solitaire necklace for their 75th anniversary. Go to their facebook page to enter the contest. The sweepstake ends – March 26, 2012 @ 05:00 pm (PDT) .
- A new ap – OUKosher – helps you find Orthodox Union Certified updates on Kosher products.
- Where is LeRoy? If you like LeRoy’s flavored ketchup, enter their contest to stage a photo of LeRoy’s ketchup. Winners get bottles of LeRoy’s with a grandprize winner in November receiving a grocery gift card.
Parade Magazine – In this week’s issue of PARADE, three top chefs—Food Network star Paula Deen; Lidia Bastianich, host of PBS’ Lidia’s Italy; and the Cooking Channel’s Daisy Martinez—talked about their approach to making the family dinner special—and keeping it real.
Dash is a new food magazine produced by PARADE which is found inside many local newspapers. Dash will begin showing up regularly in February, but they put out a preview in this week’s issue. You can find the interview with our favorite family chefs online as well as other Dash recipes. Here’s a link to the welcome page as well as some Thanksgiving recipes to introduce you to DASH.
How2Heroes – can help you out when it comes to food, but not just recipes. They can answer your questions and help you out with preparing that perfect Thanksgiving meal.
On how2heroes, you’ll find over 100 original Thanksgiving how-to videos featuring master chefs with tricks up their sleeve as well as talented home cooks with tradition under their belts. From a guaranteed moist Cider-Brined Maple-Glazed Turkey to Guaranteed Pumpkin Pie from King Arthur Flour’s Test Kitchen and creative sides from Cranberry Chutney to Sweet Potato Crunch to Eight Stuffing recipes from all corners of this great country of ours. For some out-of-the-ordinary leftovers ideas, you’ll find Egg Nests from Annie Copps of Yankee Magazine and Turkey Croquettes from the Whole Foods Test Kitchen. And in the midst of all the planning and hubbub, if you forget the true meaning of Thanksgiving, watch The History of Thanksgiving, shot at Plimoth Plantation, where it all started.
And there’s a how2heroes app for ipad and iphone if you need it.
Rolling Stone Restaurant & Lounge to preview with AMA After-Party On Sunday, November 21.
Capturing the edgy-yet-elegant spirit of one of the world’s most iconic music magazines, Rolling Stone a new restaurant and lounge concept will open its flagship at Hollywood & Highland by hosting the VIP afterparty for the American Music Awards (AMAs) on Sunday, November 21. Previewing the space through the official launch event planned for early 2011, Rolling Stone/Los Angeles (RS/LA) marks the first-ever licensing of the Rolling Stone name for an American restaurant.
Napoleon Bon Appétit – is a web series that launches on November 17th.
The new web series features Napoleon (Derek Houck, “Super Undead Doctor Roach,” “Absent”) and his Kitchen Wench (Katherine Browning, “The Carpenter”) as the hosts of their own cooking show. The pair will be serving up a new recipe every two weeks on Somebody’s Basement (www.somebodysbasement.com) and www.NapoleonBonAppetit.com. On the premiere webisode, “Chicken Cordon Bleu,” Napoleon stakes his claim to a classic French dish. The Kitchen Wench does her best to restrain the pint-sized dictator, but what will she do when Napoleon discovers an intoxicating ingredient in the recipe?
TGIFriday’s – has become really family friendly. They are posting all of their allergen information on their menus so that you can make the best decisions for your whole family when choosing a meal out.
Using easy-to-read icons T.G.I. Friday’s new allergen menu will break down what food groups/categories may be found in each menu item, including eggs, wheat, soy, peanuts, shellfish and more. This new Allergen menu will help guests make informed meal choices regarding their food allergies and help them find the perfect meal to satisfy their appetite.
Gordan Ramsay -returns to QVC to unveil the latest additions to his specialty cookware collection – Signature. Ramsay is scheduled to make appearances on Wednesday, November 17 with special shows at 11 AM (ET) and 7 PM (ET). He is also scheduled to return Sunday, December 5 at 8 AM (ET) and 6 PM (ET).
Created especially for QVC, Ramsay’s first cookware line was inspired by the tools that he uses in his own kitchen–.both at home and in his award-winning restaurants. Priced between $22.00 and $200.00, his collection includes an assortment of culinary pieces that are designed for experts and novices alike.
Fabulous Cakes – A second season of Fabulous Cakes is starting soon.
On Monday, November 22 at 10 PM ET/PT, TLC serves up a second season of FABULOUS CAKES with ten all-new one-hour episodes each showcasing the country’s top bakeries specializing in extravagant custom cakes. This season, in addition to an array of stunning designs ranging from eatable dinosaurs to a princess tea party theme, each new episode will also feature a wedding cake design.
Lufthansa’s Flavors of India promotion is still continuing. Vote for the best recipe, or just register to be entered into their weekly raffle.
Alaska Seafood and the Los Angeles-based Border Grill chefs invite home cooks to submit their take on the wildly popular fish taco. Recipes using any variety of wild Alaska seafood are welcome. The grand prize winner will be flown to Los Angeles to serve their winning fish taco alongside the famous chefs on their gourmet taqueria on wheels, the Border Grill Truck.
Healthline is holding a Healthy Dessert Recipe Contest –
Submit an original healthy holiday dessert recipe. Cakes, cookies, tarts, pies, candies, and pastries – anything goes, as long as it’s healthier than the standard holiday fare! Healthline.com’s panel of judges—including a nutritionist and food professionals—will select the winners based on healthfulness, taste, and recipe creativity.
The Olive Orchard– This contest ends November 15th. This one is really easy, just post a comment on their facebook page for an entry. They’re giving away a 5L tin of their Siclian EVOO.Diana
Eric Ripert was on Jimmy Kimmel last night, promoting the finale of Top Chef on Bravo this Wednesday (10/9C). Jimmy Kimmel is always fun to watch, and this was no exception. Eric Ripert demonstrated how to prepare and cook an octopus – (on a George Foreman Grill none the less) with the assistance of Kimmel. These videos were sent to me to share with you, so enjoy – especially the part where they show you how to tenderize an octopus and where Jimmy Kimmel says – Oh that’s why mine didn’t come out right. Jimmy Kimmel is on weeknights at 12:05/11:05c on ABC.
And one more fun thing – the recipe can be found here..
- TLC – MON 12/21 9:00 pm EST- Little Chocolatiers / World Chocolate Championship. Run by a little people / husband-wife team, the show focuses on a 3rd generation chocolate shop in Utah with the most amazing!! creations. Then, an inside look at Int’l culinary competition, World Chocolate Masters, devoted solely to the creative use of chocolate.
- Food Network – Sunday, Jan 3rd – 8:00 pm EST – Iron Chef – SuperChef Battle. Christina Comerford, the White House Chef, joins up with Iron Chef Bobby Flay to battle Emeril Lagasse and Iron Chef Mario Batali. Mrs. Obama has challenged the chefs to create the ultimate meal using the White House Garden Produce. This is the show I’m looking forward to! Let the Battle Begin (sorry Alton I had to say it).
Webisodes – Online episodes
- TLC – Check out Buddy from Cake Boss in a new 8-part webisode series - SAUCE BOSS – at www.tlc.com/sauceboss
QVC – During Issac Mizrahi Live!, the incomparable Issac Mizrahi will be showcasing a variety of items from his line. Issac Mizrahi Live! premieres on QVC, 12/5 at 8pm (EST). I saw Mizrahi on QVC last night, love the opera coat. Tonight he’ll be showing off lots of great stuff including a holiday plaid cheesecake he designed that was created by Junior’s. Can’t wait! The cheesecake will be the star of your dessert table.
Cake Boss(TLC) – It’s an interesting cake show, that’s for sure, and always entertaining. This is what’s up next week:
Monday 12/7 at 9pm
CAKE BOSS – Color Characters & Christmas Costumes
It’s a drag at the bakery this week when Buddy and Co. have to make a holiday-themed cake for a drag queen
There were two other shows mixed in with Cake Boss, and I haven’t seen those before, but the ice sculpture looks pretty good. I’m not into overindulging in Christmas Lights though.
BBQ Pitmasters – Thursdays at 10 pm on TLC. If you missed the first show, they’re repeating this week. I haven’t seen the show yet, though it should fill your barbecue winter needs until you can get out on that deck again – unless you are a diehard like my brother in law.