I was late to the farm market but needed eggs, so I made a bee-line to vendors that carried eggs. Well, they didn’t have any chicken eggs but they had duck eggs. So I bought 3 dozen because I was in dire need. I inquired as to the difference between duck and chicken eggs and found out a few things.
- Duck eggs are larger than chicken eggs.
- The ratio of yolk to white in duck eggs are larger (more yolk and less white) than in chicken eggs.
- The shells are pretty strong, and harder to crack which means they last a little longer before going bad.
- The eggs are a little richer because of the extra amount of yolk. I have heard that they are better in cakes but I haven’t tried them.
- Nutritionally they are close however, a duck egg has twice as much cholesterol.
I’ve used the eggs in fritattas, and on over easy. I can tell the difference in the over easy due to the larger more rich yolk but in the fritatta or scrambled it wasn’t as noticeable. Cook gently, I noticed that it …Diana
There are those who say Mom’s don’t want appliances or kitchenware for Mother’s Day but given the choice of a knick knack or kitchen stuff, I choose the kitchen stuff. That’s not to say flowers, jewelry and chocolates aren’t higher on the list, but I can appreciate a good mix. If a guy can get power tools and a new grill for Father’s Day, then there are a few mom’s who might appreciate some nice kitchen stuff. My links are to amazon, so that you can see what I am talking about but Kohl’s and Target carries a lot of nice kitchenware.
Before you go pick out something, get to know what your mother/wife appreciates,. Not everyone would agree with me, my mother who has little interest in cooking, would be first to diasgree. However, if I suggest something to my husband, he’s finally stopped questioning my sanity and now picks out what I want. Here are a few suggestions:
- Lodge Enameled Cast Iron Dutch Oven. There’s a really expensive brand that though I covet, I don’t own. I do own Lodge a USA brand that … Diana
My garlic plants went to seed last summer, so this year I have plenty of garlic shoots coming up. Whether they were unintended or intentional and you need to thin out, you can use them to make pesto, throw into salads or pasta, use like an herbal topping for a dish or in a sauce. Throw them into omelets, fritattas, scrambled eggs or any egg dish. Add to a dip or hummus. So now, while you are waiting for your plants to become mature, you can still use those shoots to thin out, or clean up your garden.
- Broccoli and other Cole Crops
- Sweet Potatoes
- Lettuces and Other Greens
Today I had plans for a brisket – all day in the crockpot, or smoking – plans for a slow cook. Alas, planning isn’t any good without the follow through. So here I had the brisket – small about a 1 1/2 lb brisket – targeted for dinner, but i was too late to go the slow way. Brisket cooked fast is chewy and tough, it needs time, unless you have a pressure cooker. I put that brisket under pressure, went for a walk with the dog and when we came back, it was ready to eat (the stove was attended, so no worries). The meat pulled apart easily, and the sauce ingredients had all melded together quite nicely for a good swish at the end with the pulled meat.
I’ve used the pressure cooker many times as a way to fix a meal quickly without losing the flavor or moistness. Since there is less evaporation due to the seal, you need a little less liquid but it’s still pretty juicy. The most difficult part for me is always when I have to wait for the little button to go …Diana
- Ming Tsai and Whoopi Goldberg got together to talk about cooking in The Cooking Channel’s Masters Series. This week, April 23rd and 27th they are reshowing this delightful program. Check it out.
- Sunmaid Raisin and Gooseberry Patch have created a kid friendly recipe book – Sun-Maid Recipes for Healthier Eating. The really good news is that it’s free.
- Ball – the company that brings you those very useful canning jars has a list of canning classes. Check to see if you can find any in your area on their Fresh Preserving Site. Also included in the list is the State Cooperative Extension website link.
- Village Harvest Rice is holding a Facebook Photo Contest. Take your best original pictures of your favorite rice dishes that use the varieties of rice/grain that Village Harvest offers and submit them. Entry submission is through May 31, 2013. Grand Prize is an international trip valued at 7,500.00.
My tip is to – dehydrate the stems, pulse them in the small food processor until they are a powder. I use the mushroom powder in gravies, sauces, meatloaf, or in a meat rub. They could be added to your deviled eggs, or if you make home made cheese. A little bit of extra earthy flavor sprinkled in, on or around whatever you like. I have a jar I keep in my cabinet near the stove to sprinkle as needed. Magic Mushroom Powder – try it out.Diana
- Congrats to Chef Tricia Wheeler of Edible Columbus for getting The Seasoned Farmhouse going in Clintonville, OH. Looks like there will be a lot of great classes for cooking, gardening and special events.
- Nestle Crunch – 75th Anniversary Showdown. Vote on the best bakery dessert, every vote is a chance to win a Nestle Crunch Bar with their instant win app.
- California Avocado Commission has a nice treat for us – a Spring Brochure with avocado recipes for you to download.
- Pompeian is holding a facebook Time to Change Your Oil Recipe Contest – Enter your re-imaged recipe using Pompeian Grapeseed or Mediterranean Blend for a chance to win an all expense paid trip to Blog Her ’13 and a chance to be featured with Pompeian for the trip. Hungry Girl Lisa Lillien will be one of the judges.
- So do you think you can do airline food better? Cathay Pacific Airways wants to see it. They’re holding a Noodles of Asia contest. First you enter your information on their Facebook page, then repin their Noodles of Asia Contest to your pinterest page. Then you create and pin to your pinterest board – your asian … Diana
Are you over run with Easter Eggs- or just plain old hard boiled eggs? I can eat hard boiled eggs long after Easter is over, but sometimes changing it up is fun also. Here are some different approaches to using up your hard boiled eggs.
- Deviled Egg Post – a pretty big list of deviled egg recipes
- Cobb Salad
- Three Potato Salad
- Scotch Eggs
- Warm Spinach Salad with Egg and Bacon
- Asparagus with Sauce Gribiche
- Curried Egg Salad in Mini Pitas
- Grilled Chicken Ceasar Salad
- Avocado Egg Salad Lettuce Wraps with Bacon
- Broccolini with Hard Boiled Eggs
- Paula Dean’s Macaroni Salad
- Classic Egg Salad
- Nicoise Salad
- Salmon Salad with Vinaigrette
- English Muffin Egg Pizzas
- Not Yo Mama’s Meatloaf
- Pickled Red Beet Eggs
- Boiled Egg Burrito
I haven’t done a giveaway in a while and this Dole Fruit Crisps Cozy Kit giveaway is very appropriate for this cool spring-wintery weather we are having this week. My husband and I tasted the Dole Peach Crisps and they were decent. The fruit cups had diced peaches in the container with oatmeal crisp in a little separate compartment to sprinkle over top of the peaches, so that it’s like a peach crisp.
When my kids were little we gave them fruit cups in their lunches. It was one of the things in their lunch bag I knew they would eat. These fruit crisps wouldn’t be good for your just kids in grade school, but it would also be great for your college kids during their finals week too or to pack in your own lunch.
This giveaway comes with an infinity scarf, a pair microfiber fuzzy socks, and an apple crisp candle from Cuyahoga Valley Candle and 3 Dole Crisp Packs (2 in each pack)- Peach Crisp, Apple Cinnamon Crisp and Apple Pear Crisp .
So, tell me in the …Diana
- 1 graham cracker crust
- 1 cup reduced fat peanut butter
- 8 ounces fat free cream cheese, softened to room temperature
- 1/2 cup Splenda
- 4 1/2 cups fat free non-dairy whipped topping – which will be divided
- Fat free hot fudge sundae topping or chocolate syrup
The Nitty Gritty
1. In a medium sized bowl beat the cream cheese, peanut butter and Splenda until smooth and creamy. Gently fold in 3 cups of the whipped topping. Pour into the graham cracker crust using a spatula to even out.
2. Place pie in freezer for an hour or so to harden.
3. If using hot fudge sauce, soften in the microwave, or squeeze out chocolate syrup and use a spatula to spread over the top of the pie.
4. Place pie in freezer until 30 to 60 minutes before serving.
5. Just before serving, spread the remaining whipped topping over the pie. Drizzle with softened peanut butter and hot fudge sauce or syrup.
Image via Kevandem’s Flickr Photostream (because …