What to eat when it’s hot outside ? A salad with pesto as the dressing is better than mayo or heavy dressings and parts of it can be made ahead of time to be combined sometime later before you eat. Both my husband and my son enjoyed this for dinner, my husband loved it so much he finished off whatever was leftover that same evening.
I received garlic scapes in my market bag and used it in the pesto and the salad itself, chopping it into pieces about one to two inches in length. I cut the asparagus and the leeks to the same size as the garlic scapes (though they weren’t used in the pesto). I prepared this again with more asparagus for our Memorial Day family gathering, but I have broccolini that would work well and so would fresh peas.
Garlic scapes are substituted for garlic in this dish, I used it in the pesto and the salad. They are the seed heads that shoot up among the garlic, cutting the scape off is supposed to lead to a bigger head of garlic. While you are patiently waiting for your garlic to grow, you can cut off your scape and substitute it in your recipes.
- Bunch Parsley
- Bunch Oregano
- 2 Garlic Scapes
- Bunch Basil
- ¼ cup Pine Nuts divided
- Olive oil
- Freshly Grated Parmesan Cheese
- 8 oz dried Orzo
- 8 Asparagus stalks
- 4 Garlic Scapes
- 2 Leeks
- Pine Nuts
- Grated Parmesan
- Place all Pesto ingredients into a food processor or magic bullet.
- Drizzle olive oil in and pulse.
- Check to see if the pesto is the right consistency – it should be loose enough to toss with salad and coat the pasta, but not too loose that it will just slide right off.
- If it isn’t loose enough add more oil and pulse again.
- Cook Orzo according to package directions.
- Slice the garlic scapes, the asparagus and the leeks.
- The leeks will need to be rinsed again so that all of the dirt and sand is removed.
- Drain pasta and the vegetables and toss together.
- Toast Pine Nuts and add to the Pasta
- Toss the pesto with the pasta salad.
- Sprinkle Parmesan, salt and pepper and toss again.
I’m adding a note here that I’m entering this pasta salad as my entry for Culinary Smackdown – Battle Salad. Come visit and see the entries.