Sometimes I am at odds with my son about dinner. If it takes too long, he won’t bother. If he has to read directions, he won’t bother. If it takes too many pots and pans, he won’t bother. This isn’t to say he’s hopeless or can’t cook. Slowly we are building up his repetoire and the meals he does cook are very delicious. My method with him is to encourage him to try to experiment by adding different vegetables and herbs to a basic recipe.
This time we took some chicken from our roast chicken the other night and added pasta, some broccolini, a few herbs, smash some galic and voila – dinner is served. This is a good college kid meal, you can change up the pasta, the veggies, substitute the oil with broth to make it a little lighter. Swap the lemon with white or red wine vinegar for a little different. We stood side by side at the stove cooking this dish. When we were done, I asked my son if he thought he could do it all over again, and he assured me that he could.
- 1 lb pasta (penne)
- Nice bunch Vegetables (broccolini)
- 1½ cups cooked meat (leftover chicken)
- 2 garlic cloves
- Herbs and other veggies (dried tomatoes, basil)
- Salt & Pepper
- Grated Parmesan
- Olive Oil (or broth)
- acid (lemon juice)
- In a pasta pot, boil water and cook pasta. When the pasta is pre-al dente add in any fresh veggies that need to cook through.
- In a separate saute pan, heat up about 2 tbs of olive oil. Add in garlic to saute, along with the pre-cooked chicken and any defrosted frozen veggies or dried veggies. Stir around, heating up the chicken, veggies and herbs.
- Zest the lemon over the saute, then squeeze the juice over top.
- Drain the Pasta and Cooked broccolini, toss with the pan of saute.
- Grate parmesan over top, sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Related posts you might also like:
- Farm Market Veggies and Leftover Spaghetti
- Orzo, Asparagus and Garlic Scapes in Garlic Scape Pesto
- Farfalle with Creamy Peas and Carrots
- Creamed Greens
- Red Pepper Lentil Dip
- Swiss Chard, Spaghetti Squash, Chicken and Mushrooms in a Maple Basalmic Vinaigrette
- Spaghetti Squash and Roasted Vegetables
- Cauliflower Saute
- Turkey Soup – from your home made Turkey Broth
- Baked Ricotta Penne Pasta