Mother’s Day – Cobb Salad – I think they can go together really well.
Reason 1 :The ingredients in my fridge were pointing towards salad with all the greens I had accumulated. Spring is a great time for salad greens, they thrive when it is cooler, and slow down or bolt when it’s really warm. I even had a smoked chicken in the fridge and fresh ricotta that needed to be used up. Herbs are growing in the garden.
Reason 2: Mother’s Day isn’t really for mothers when we have to cook, Cobb salad comes together easily with cold make ahead ingredients, that can be assembled quickly. Hard boil a couple of eggs, fry up some bacon, and chop some veggies the night before. The next day assemble your salad.
Reason 3: Grumpy Granny inspired me with her choice of Culinary Smackdown guidelines – May is salad month. This may not be not be my entry, but it started me thinking about salads.
Reason 4: It’s a really tasty salad with all of the good stuff in it, so you won’t feel guilty eating it. When everyone brings the macaroni and potato salad, yours will be the less guilty choice. Then you can have dessert too – like a strawberry pie.
Reason 5: It’s really pretty, and makes a great impression. Lining the meat, veggies and cheese up in nice rows on top of the salad greens, then sprinkling with herbs, makes for a really stunning presentation especially next to potato salad.
- Salad greens – romaine, green oak lettuce, red oak lettuce torn
- 1 Red Sweet pepper diced
- 2 Medium Tomatoes diced
- 3 hard boiled eggs
- 4 slices bacon
- ½ small smoked chicken
- ½ cup fresh sheep ricotta cheese
- Chive flowers
- Rinse and spin greens layering the bottom of a serving dish.
- Using the rest of the ingredients, layer them in rows.
- Sprinkle herbs over top.
- Let people serve themselves – but watch out for my son, he tries to grab all of the chicken row in one serving.
Related posts you might also like:
- Hard boiled Egg Recipes – or What To Do With All of Those Easter Eggs
- Salad For Breakfast
- Eggs and Tatsoi in a Sweet Potato Nest
- Grilled Chicken – Lots of Ways
- Low Sodium Cauliflower-Potato Bites
- Fig, Pancetta and Grape Salad with Honey Balsamic Vinaigrette
- Berry Tossed Salad
- German Potato Salad
- Roasted Vegetable Salad with Orange, Feta, and Walnuts
- Deviled Green Guac Eggs for St. Patrick’s Day