My son’s specialty is now making spaghetti with sauce. The most difficult part was NOT overcooking the pasta, believe it or not. He’s not too keen on figuring out portions, which is why he just makes a whole box (pound) of pasta every time. While this could cause some problems with waste, I’ve found a way to take the leftover pasta and make another meal with it using farm market and garden veggies. Saute a few veggies, add in the pasta, a little more oil and white whine, toss until heated along with some herbs from the garden and voila you have a great dish. We served this topped with a luna burger. I had the garden thyme, my husband had a barbecue . My daughter said she wanted real meat, but my son crumbled the burger up and mixed it in with the pasta. My husband and I just broke off pieces with the fork then grabbed up some pasta and veggies on the same fork and ate it that way. Let me tell you, it was super delicious.
- 1/2 lb leftover cooked spaghetti
- 1/2 shallot (more if your husband’s not a whiner)
- 1/2 straight neck squash
- 1/3 zucchini (about the same amount as the straight neck)
- 1 med tomato diced
- lemon thyme
- Olive Oil
- 1/2 cup white wine (chardonnay)
Dice Shallot. Chop the rest of the veggies to about finger width and 1/2 finger length. Saute shallots in olive oil, when they are soft and translucent, add in carrots and soften. Throw in squash and when that is softened add tomato and herbs.
Chop spaghetti, and throw in with veggies, toss with olive oil. Pour wine over top and scrap bottom of bits. Keep tossing, when heated through, serve.
You can substitute any of your veggies and change up the pasta. Though I wish my son would think ahead to portion size and preparation, I love that I don’t have to heat up another full pot of water for another batch of spaghetti. What do you do when you make too much?
Related posts you might also like:
- Lemony Bulgur and Spaghetti Squash
- Swiss Chard, Spaghetti Squash, Chicken and Mushrooms in a Maple Basalmic Vinaigrette
- Farfalle with Spinach and Tomatoes & a Little Pinot Grigio
- Chicken, Penne and Broccolini – Leftover Remix
- Spaghetti Squash and Roasted Vegetables
- Diana’s Fake It Spaghetti Sauce
- Cold Spaghetti Squash Salad
- Spaghetti Squash Medley
- Fast and Delicious – Grilled Veggies & Bulgur
- Garlicky Smashed New Potatoes with Spinach and Lamb Mint Sausage