- Bobby Flay ousted Michael Symon as the People’s Choice for the South Beach Burger Bash last night. Jeff Mauro “The Sandwich King” was the judges’ first choice and other South Beach Wine and Food Festival News.
- Voluntary recall on 5lb bags King Arthur Flour due to small polyurethane balls.
Small, polyurethane balls approximately 7mm to 9mm (1/4″ to 3/8″) in size may have dropped into bags during the final sifting stage of the milling process. The balls have a smooth surface and no sharp edges and are made from food grade material. Because of their bright blue color and size (about half the diameter of a dime), they are easily seen in the flour.
Any affected products may be returned for a full refund. For more information call the King Arthur Flour Consumer Hotline at 866 797 9178, open Monday-Friday, 9am-6pm EST.
- Chef Homaro Cantu of Bread and Wine will be swapping kitchens with Curtis Gamble’s iNG in Chicago. On Tuesday, March 12th and Wednesday, March 13 Chef Cantu will bring a 5 course Iron Chef menu to Ing while Chef Gamble will bring his Farm to Table approach to Bread and Wine. Pretty cool idea. Reservations can be made using Table Host.
- Fonseca a leading Port producer held their first Bin 27 Port and Cookie rumble. Maureen Dudgeon of Kansas City, MO, won the grand prize for her “Portofignos” cookie creation. The recipes were judged by Jacques Torres and Dorie Greenspan. One of the prizes is private cooking lessons with Jacques and Dorie along with Kitchen Aid prizes.
- The voting has begun for the fifth finalist that will compete in the live Manischewitz Cook-off March 21, 2013. Weigh in by voting on your favorite recipe/competitor.
- T-Fal is hosting a #OprahlovesActifry give away - to enter – post on ActiFry’s Facebook Page or Tweet @ActiFry and share how you think the ActiFry can change your life, making sure to include #OprahLovesActiFry. Deadline for entries February 28th, 2013.