This year peak strawberry season and Mother’s day collide. I found some strawberries at a farm market and made the Fresh Strawberry Pie from Pat Sinclair’s Baking Basics and Beyond. The pie was fantastically delicious, though really, I just needed a spoon to eat the strawberries and sauce out of the pot. In fact, I wanted to lick the drippings off the stove – if I didn’t worry about burning my tongue. I brought it to my daughter’s college house for her friends (and us) to share. We all loved it – it’s a bit messy, but ohhhhhh soooo good. Enjoy!!
Crust – Pastry for a 9 inch single crust pie (included in the book)
- 2 quarts (1.2 kg) strawberries
- 1 cup (200g) sugar
- 3 tablespoons (23g) cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon (15ml) lemon juice
- ¼ cup (59ml) water
- ½ teaspoon (2.5ml) balsamic vinegar, if desired
- Sweetened whipped cream
- Wash berries, remove stems, and slice. Place 2 cups(300 g) sliced berries in medium bowl and crushed using potato masher until juice is released. Reserve remaining sliced berries. Set aside several whole berries for garnish.
- Mix sugar and cornstarch together in small bowl. Stir into the berries and let stand about 15 minutes to draw out more juice. Place crushed berries, water, lemon juice and vinegar in medium saucepan. Cook over medium heat about 5 minutes, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a boil and is thick and clear. Reduce heat and continue cooking 1 minute longer, stirring constantly. Cool to room temperature, stirring occasionally.
- Place remaining sliced berries in baked shell. Pour the sauce over them and stir a little. Refrigerator pie until sauce sets. Serve with whipped cream. Garnish with fresh strawberries.
Baking Basics and Beyond was sent to me for review.
Related posts you might also like:
- Cool Low Calorie Strawberry Soda
- Friday Unwind – Frozen Strawberry-Basil Margarita
- Strawberry Tips
- Chevre-Yogurt Custard with Blackberry Sauce
- National Pie Day – January 23, 2010
- BLUEBERRY OATMEAL CRUMBLE BARS
- How to Freeze Strawberries (I Think)
- Chocolate Covered Almonds For My Husband
- The Great Strawberry Harvest
- The Best Berry Muffins You’ll Ever Eat