If you have an Iphone or Droid or one of those other phones that are web capable, you may have a kitchen tool or two at your fingertips – literally (I think that’s correctly used). I have some Apps to suggest. It’s really cool to find a recipe on your phone, to use for dinner. There are organizational tools to help with shopping and dieting and even cool drink making apps – I think I’ll need that one while my daughter is home on spring break. Here are a few of my favorite apps, let me know in the comments what your best ones are.
- Bento- Cost 4.99 – If you are going to pay almost five dollars for an app, it had better be useful. Bento is a very useful organizing tool based on different templates you can use. I’ll talk about a few of them, that I’ve investigated. How it works – you get a template from those available and add it to your library. For example – in the Diet Log, you add an entry based on their template and you can keep track of what you’ve eaten for the day, the number of calories eaten, put in some exercise notes and your weight. There are different templates available besides the Diet Log such as Recipes, and an Exercise log, an address book and quite a few others. This app is definitely worth looking into and one of the few worth the 4.99. I did get this one free, but I still recommend it as a one stop app to keep you organized.
- Strawberries – Cost free- Put out by the California Strawberry Commission – it has recipes and a page about nutrition and another page of how to find them on twitter and facebook. My opinion that the app is good, but could be better because the number of recipes is a little limited. To be a good recipe app, we should have more to choose from. It is free though, so you won’t lose out by getting it.
- 8,500+ Drink & Cocktail Recipes Free – Cost Free – Pretty Cool App. You can choose one particular ingredient and look through all the drinks using that ingredient, or you can just choose form the entire list. Also, you can shake the app and come up with a whole new drink to try out – a random drink.
- WW mobile – Cost Free – kinda – Weight Watchers Mobile – is a kind of free app. If you belong to Weight Watchers, the whole app is free and it can be used to keep track of your points (or I think). If you aren’t a member of Weight Watchers there are still daily recipes and articles you can view, plus a cheat sheet for pizza and cocktails. Much more worth it if you are a member.
- Around Me – Cost Free – Good App for finding restaurants around you – as long as you have service and an exit. I was checking to see what places were nearby when we were stuck last week, though there wasn’t anyway to get to them. It’s a decent app to keep around.
- Eat This Not That –This was recommended to me, though at 4.99, I haven’t tried it yet. It’s put out by Men’s health and is supposed to be similar to the book that was put out, giving suggestions of good choices at different places. Has anyone tried it? What do you think?
Here’s a cool tool for your Iphone – it’s called an IDOX – a stand for your Iphone. On the plus side, it will hold up your Iphone and make it easier to be hands free while you are cooking from the recipes you’ve stored there. I did think it was useful and works well, and is very low tech. On the negative side, you have to remove your case in order to fit the phone into the IDOX. You can actually replace your case and just use the IDOX as a case, but it makes it a little clunky. So I think it’s better to pull it out of it’s case and put it into the IDOX when you are cooking in the kitchen. Other uses besides in the kitchen that are suggested, as an alarm when you are travelling, or also so you can watch movies without holding your Iphone the whole time. It is more protection for your phone than regular a regular Iphone case. As for the price – I’m a little hesitant tell you about it because 34.99 is a bit pricey, though it is a sturdy case. I have a free review case and I do like it, so you’ll have to decide about the cost for yourself.
Disclosure - I received a free copy of Bento, as well as a free IDOX, both reviews are my honest opinion.
Related posts you might also like:
- Weight Loss Wednesday: My First Week on Nutrisystem
- Weightloss Wednesday: I Cheated
- Weight Loss Wednesday: What I’m Doing Wrong
- Weight Loss Wednesday: Week 3 on Nutrisystem
- Looking for Gluten Free Desserts – Katz to the Rescue
- Strawberry Tips
- Dogerati: diet tips for dogs
- Holiday Gifts : Highly Recommended Books for the Foodie you love
- Weight Loss Wednesday: Back on Track Thanks to My Food Journal
- Baking Basics and Beyond by Pat Sinclair