- 1 graham cracker crust
- 1 cup reduced fat peanut butter
- 8 ounces fat free cream cheese, softened to room temperature
- 1/2 cup Splenda
- 4 1/2 cups fat free non-dairy whipped topping – which will be divided
- Fat free hot fudge sundae topping or chocolate syrup
The Nitty Gritty
1. In a medium sized bowl beat the cream cheese, peanut butter and Splenda until smooth and creamy. Gently fold in 3 cups of the whipped topping. Pour into the graham cracker crust using a spatula to even out.
2. Place pie in freezer for an hour or so to harden.
3. If using hot fudge sauce, soften in the microwave, or squeeze out chocolate syrup and use a spatula to spread over the top of the pie.
4. Place pie in freezer until 30 to 60 minutes before serving.
5. Just before serving, spread the remaining whipped topping over the pie. Drizzle with softened peanut butter and hot fudge sauce or syrup.
Image via Kevandem’s Flickr Photostream (because …Diana
- Spike Seasoning Magics is giving away free samples of their seasonings in exchange for a “like” on Facebook. There are three things you need to do. LIKE them on Facebook. Take a screenshot of the PAGE LIKE. Send the screen shot, your name and a shipping address via a direct message on Facebook. Their page has directions on how to take a screenshot of the Facebook PAGE.
- Curtis Stone has recipes featured in this week’s Saturday Evening Post. Check them out!
- Dine Originals week is going 10 days in honor of their tenth anniversary. Take a look at all of the restaurants participating in Dine Originals Week, along with some special classes, wine tastings and events.
- Here’s a nice article listing churches selling pierogies in the Cleveland area during lent – and later. Are there any churches in Columbus, OH selling pierogies? Or any other churches? Send me an email with the details and I’ll add it on here.
- A nice set of links to cooking, food and wine classes all over Ohio. Enjoy!
- A new organic fair trade Madagascar Bourbon Pure Vanilla Extract by Nielsen-Massey will be showcased at the Natural Products Expo West in Anaheim, CA (booth 4579), March 8-10, 2013.
Nielsen-Massey introduced the new product in January and is the first vanilla manufacturer to offer a certified Organic Fairtrade Madagascar Bourbon Pure Vanilla Extract. The products are certified by Fairtrade Canada, a national, nonprofit Fairtrade certification organization and member of Fairtrade International.
- Cookbook Create will be curating a The Official 2014 SXSW Interactive Festival Cookbook. This is the first cookbook to celebrate the SXSW community, and it will include recipes from notable speakers who have made major contributions to the development of the SXSW community and interactive technology.
- Win a recipe contest with your favorite peanut butter recipe. Southern Peanut Growers is sponsoring the 2013 PB My Kid’s Way Recipe Contest. You enter your kid’s favorite peanut butter recipe for a chance to win an IPad or a one year’s supply of peanut butter.
- Here is a cute video from a boy named Peter and he is making French Toast. The kid is doing a pretty good job of entertaining while cooking – maybe he’s the Next …
Finally, finally, finally, I figured out the solution to the lids that are constantly being vomited out of my kitchen cabinet. Truly, it’s been an issue since we moved to the house and I found the perfect solution for my tiny kitchen in a hardware place. It’s a Husky Clickbin – The bins stack, but have tabs in the bottom that pull out and click into place. These tabs help to secure the bins when they are stacked. The front of each bin has a semi-open front where you can put the lids you use most often for easy grabbing.
Truthfully, when searching for lids we pull the bin out and lift them apart to find the correct lid, there’s no getting around that part of it. But we are not digging through a massive pile of falling lids to find the one that fits correctly. My husband wouldn’t search for a lid in the old method; he’d use a plastic bag, plastic wrap, a towel – anything but wouldn’t bother searching for the lid. Now, no problem, my husband finds a lid every time, not just searches for the lid, but finds one every time.
- Bobby Flay ousted Michael Symon as the People’s Choice for the South Beach Burger Bash last night. Jeff Mauro “The Sandwich King” was the judges’ first choice and other South Beach Wine and Food Festival News.
- Voluntary recall on 5lb bags King Arthur Flour due to small polyurethane balls.
Small, polyurethane balls approximately 7mm to 9mm (1/4″ to 3/8″) in size may have dropped into bags during the final sifting stage of the milling process. The balls have a smooth surface and no sharp edges and are made from food grade material. Because of their bright blue color and size (about half the diameter of a dime), they are easily seen in the flour.
Any affected products may be returned for a full refund. For more information call the King Arthur Flour Consumer Hotline at 866 797 9178, open Monday-Friday, 9am-6pm EST.
- Chef Homaro Cantu of Bread and Wine will be swapping kitchens with Curtis Gamble’s iNG in Chicago. On Tuesday, March 12th and Wednesday, March 13 Chef Cantu will bring a 5 course Iron Chef menu to Ing while Chef Gamble will bring his Farm to Table approach to Bread and Wine. Pretty cool idea. Reservations can …
My husband picked up a Dry Aged Beef Tenderloin from Bluescreek Farm Meats this week and I knew it was the beef we could use for a special dinner. I was looking forward to trying out the tenderloin – which I’ve never cooked before. I love an opportunity to try out something new, but it can be a little scary trying out something new when you know if you mess up. That’s it, we’re eating it anyway because we spent the money already. This one though, this was a big winner.
I researched the best cooking methods, and there was a consensus that high heat quickly was the way to go. I couldn’t use salt, because my husband is on a low sodium diet and meat carries its own sodium, so I wanted a way to keep it moist and flavorful but without added sodium. I decided to try out my dehydrated mushroom powder on the tenderloin. Last year I took mushrooms, dehydrated them, and then pulverized them to make it into a powder. I think mushrooms in gravy compliment steak. I …Diana
Flowers from my husband – he knows I enjoy the beautiful colors in the winter. It just brightens up the day. Plus a few handmade chocolates because I like them too.
Dinner Beef Tenderloin over Creamed Kale – oh my goodness it was good.
- Stonefire Authentic Flatbreads is hosting it’s own Oscar Party – or rather Oscar sweepstakes on their Stonefire Flatbreads Facebook Page. Tell them which actor or actress is most like their flatbread for a chance to win a 40 in. Flatscreen TV.
- Crumbs Bakery has paired up with the Girl Scouts for a limited time through Feb 22, 2013. It is available at all twenty two locations and also online.
Devil’s food cake filled with fudge and topped with mint cream cheese frosting edged in chocolate cake crumbs with a Girl Scout Thin Mints® cookie in the center.
- For a limited time KFC has it’s Chicken Pot Pie for 3.99 right now. KFC has teamed up with Dr Pepper® to provide the ultimate red carpet experience to one lucky winner. To enter add a medium Dr Pepper to your Chicken Pot Pie or any order and text the code on the cup to www.kfc.com/register by Feb 28, 2013.
- Roger Mooking is gearing up for his second season of Man Fire Food on the Cooking Channel. Looks fun.
- Florida Grapefruit is holding a Juicy Scoop Recipe Photo Contest. They’re looking for a grapefruit …
One Saturday evening this winter we decided to meet with a bunch of friends for a wine tasting. Though the wine was provided by a pr company, a wine tasting doesn’t need to be expensive or costly. It’s a great way to get to know people. We made some new friends and had time to chat and enjoy each others company and learn about our friends in a relaxing atmosphere. Our party is not the serious wine connoisseur’s party, it’s a fun gathering of friends trying out wine. Would we do it again – definitely! Here are a few suggestions for hosting a successful wine tasting party.
1. Have wine, spirits, non-alcoholic refreshment, something fun but not too much. Five or six different wines is the limit, so that you don’t overwhelm everyone with too many choices. The distinction between a big party and a wine tasting is that you aren’t going to seriously drink and forget what you’ve done, you’re there to taste the wine and talking about the wine is key to a good wine tasting. However, chatting off topic is enjoyed and encouraged; really good gossip is a plus.
2. Agree to disagree – because you are there to …Diana
Is hard cider really an ale or beer? No, probably not but it’s what I’m going with this weekend. My husband and I have tried some hard ciders and are enjoying the crisp clean but fizzy apple taste of Angry Orchard varieties. Hard Cider is becoming more and more popular as the alcohol of choice at gatherings. It’s not more popular than wine or beer but it’s making advances. I can see it being used in braising liquids in place of beer or soda too.
- My favorite is the Apple ginger which seems a little less sweet, though it could use a bit more of the ginger bite(heat?) that I enjoy.
- Crisp Apple was appropriately named with a nice sweet crisp apple flavor – the downside to this one was that we drank it way too fast. You can forget that it’s hard cider until you start to feel the effects.
- The Classic is more of a dry hard cider, less sweet but still great apple flavor.
Hard Apple Ciders are growing in popularity and becoming easier to …