- The Idaho Potato Commission is sharing a recipe book by the Mr Food Test Kitchen. Game Day Recipes – 30 Best Munchies For a Crowd is available for download. It’s not what you think though, there are more than just potato snacks in the ebook.
- Cancer patients and their families who are dealing with eating issues, or want a healthier diet to help them stay strong should check out Cook For Your Life .
- John’s Hopkins Engineering Students - having fun in the kitchen while learning about engineering principles.
- The Manischewitz Annual Cookoff will be back for it’s 7th year – the Grand prize is worth 25,000.00. It will be held at the Manischewitz Manufacturing Plant in Newark, NJ on March 21, 2013.
- Finally!!!!! Easy Bake for anyone coming next year. My son didn’t care about the color but if you do, then next year blue, silver and black will show up along with their standard pink and purple .
Lately, I’ve been experimenting with three ingredients and my cast iron pan. I like that I can stick the pan under the broiler and bake some eggs, after I’ve partially cooked the other ingredients on the stove top. Cast iron is really great for even heat and works well even on my glass top, too. Trying the same dish over and over in different ways should give you perfection sooner or later, but I’m always thinking what if I did this, or this, or this. Don’t be afraid to experiment.
This combination of sweet potatoes, greens and fresh eggs has become family favorite. These aren’t the only ingredients I’m using, because often I add luna burgers broken up and I also use onions, shallots or leeks. Fresh herbs are good to sprinkle over top, and a little bit of chevre and swiss ( two of the lowest sodium cheeses my husband can eat). The greens are whatever I have on hand, sometimes spinach or chard, but this week tatsoi was in the market bag. Tatsoi …Diana
- Win a Vegan Vegas Getaway from Earth Balance in the Earth Balance Holiday Bake-off. This week’s bakeoff is cupcakes, next week is cookies and bars. Grand prize – A trip to Vegas and $1000.00.
- Sandra Lee has teamed up with Verizon to show you how technology can help you in the kitchen. They’re holding a recipe contest – this is the last week but it’s all about leftover lunches. Grand prize winner receives a Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0) and a Sandra Lee Stainless Steel Cookware Set.
- If you believe that organic foods should have ingredients that are organically or naturally derived and not derived from a synthetic process, the time to make a statement is now. The USDA is accepting statements on this right now. Contact the USDA and make a statement.
- December is National Pear Month – The Pear Bureau Northwest is highlighting the original recipes of six food bloggers on its USA Pears website.
- Stonefire Authentic Flatbreads is holding its second annual cooking sweepstakes. Just like their Facebook page and you’ll be entered to win one of their 8 prizes now through the end of the month.
This is my way of dealing with my husband’s new low sodium diet – by coming up with new ways to eat without using salt or high sodium ingredients. Macaroni and cheese was out, because cheese has too much sodium unless it’s something a little on the bland side like lower sodium Swiss. So, I kicked it up with a Hot Sweet Pepper Relish and Kapow it was tasty without much sodium. This casserole had plenty of veggies, the creaminess of a good mac n cheese, and a nice kick to it. My husband had trouble backing away from the bowl even after eating two plates of it.
This is a much lower calorie version since we can’t use a lot of cheese, and it’s not as thick as a lot of other macaroni and cheese recipes. I like to add a veggie to my mac and cheese too, so this one had sauteed cabbage and leeks. I found a low sodium brown rice bread. The bread was too dry and bland for a sandwich, but toasted, ground up and sauteed in a little butter …Diana
It’s National Cookie Day and I think a round up would be a good thing. These might make great treats for Christmas or a hostess gift when you are visiting.
Here are some Hungarian Christmas Honey Cookies by the Hungarian Girl.
Because one Hungarian is never enough, here’s Lemon-Cumin Cookies by the Hungarian Cook.
David Venable has some cool cookie recipes on QVC – like this Chocolate Hazelnut No-Bake Cookie Recipe.
One of my favorites on this site – Apple Spice Oatmeal Cookies.
If you make this, you will eat this… and you won’t stop until it is finished… Pecan Chocolate Cookie Bar
Food Network’s Twelve Days of Cookies is always a great resource for something tasty.
Here’s some Cookie News:
This weekend the North Market (courtesy of Mozart’s Bakery) is hosting a Cookie Decorating Party for area families 10 am to 12 pm. Cookies are free for children age 12 and under.
And an interesting cookie story – KFC has created a cookie using Original Recipe herbs and spices. What do you think? They’d like you to let them know on their Facebook Page.
Do you have a favorite cookie recipe you’d like …Diana
- I hope you didn’t miss the deadliest catch brothers on QVC yesterday. I was at a party, so I missed it but their crabcakes – The Deadliest Catch Alaskan Style Crab Cakes can be ordered online through QVC.
- The Diet Detective posted their annual airline food survey. It lists the snack and meal choices, prices, calorie counts and which flights carry them. Also – how much exercise you need to do to work off those nuts…
- Chef Eric Greenspan of The Next Iron Chef and executive chef and owner of The Foundry on Melrose has joined up with Harry and David’s for their Seasonal Chef program. He’s created three new recipes surrounding their signature Fruit of the Month Club. Take a look at the Harry & David Youtube Channel for Eric’s Johnny Pastrami Grilled Cheese.
- Don’t miss it – this weekend the Palm Beach Food and Wine Festival. The Farm to Table Lunch looks especially interesting, just my style.
- It’s the 12th Annual Sonoma Valley Olive Season. Take a look at December’s Events that you might take in if you are in the area now through January and into February with a …
Thanksgiving Thursday, Black Friday, Small Business Saturday (Day of Rest – Sunday?) Cyber Monday and now Giving Tuesday – where you take whatever is left and find a way to give back. I’ll help you out with some options that are foodie related.
- GoodDining – if you sign up at this site, and use a registered credit card when you dine when you dine out, they donate a percentage to the cause of your choice. If you are eating out anyway, why not earn something for a charity of your cause. GoodShop and GoodSearch work the same way.
- World Vision Gift Catalog – You can donate to World Vision to help feed a families in the US or overseas including victims of Superstorm Sandy. They have gifts that you recieve in exchange for a minimum donation through their Maximum Impact Gift Catalog. I received a set of hand carved serving spoons that are lovely and very well made.
- Rescue Gifts by the International Rescue Committee is another charity that you give money to, that helps out families in need with things like emergency cookstoves.
- Feeding America …
- Frigidaire has a time machine – if you become a Facebook Fan of the Frigidaire Time Machine Sweepstakes. You could have a chance to win a full sweet of Frigidaire Appliances. They also have a bunch of holiday cards to send out to your family and friends.
- Delaware North Companies are donating $1 million to the Say Yes Buffalo Campaign to help increase graduation rates, and post-secondary school enrollment in the Buffalo area. Delaware North operates many of the sports arena, state and national parks food and hospitality venues.
- The Chilean Avocado Importers Association is hosting a “Bravo For Avocado From Chile” recipe contest. There are two divisions for entry – Home Cooks or Culinary Students. Grand prize winner from each will will 1,000.00. Do you have an innovative way to prepare your dish with Haas Avocados?
- The Handle Bar is opening in Jackson Hole, Wyoming – Teton Village.
The Handle Bar will feature a casual and accessible menu filled with burgers, sausages, comforting bar snacks and a vast bar menu. With sweeping mountain views and a five-hour Après Ski happy hour, The Handle Bar is sure to draw an energetic crowd of locals and visitors looking to unwind, drink …Diana
This recipe is a great way to use up greens – any kind of greens for your Holiday dinner. My market bag not only has greens in the form of collards, kale, chard, spinach, but there was bok choy last week and we even have greens on root vegetables – beet, turnip and radish. What to do with all of those greens. Cream them up. When we were little my grandmother made creamed spinach with the frozen spinach and mushroom soup. This is my version – using all different types of steamed greens, and leeks. As a plus I took the bok choy – the greens were steamed and the more sturdy white part was sauteed in the oil along with the leeks for extra flavor. My version uses a roux and also chevre instead of cream of mushroom soup.
My husband said he never had creamed greens or spinach, usually he had the canned spinach. I never liked canned, and frozen is okay, but nothing is as good as fresh, even if you are cooking it up. However, if you are creaming your greens, you can use frozen – stay away from canned. It’s just not nice at all.
It takes …Diana
This is low fat brussels sprouts because it does not have any bacon or any type of fat. I’ve found that brussels sprouts are the best when prepared simply without much other than a little olive oil for roasting. If you are looking for a great side that doesn’t require a lot of prep or messing around, this is it and truthfully, my son could do this one, no problem. It takes ten minutes at most to throw together, stick it in the oven and it is ready in about 20 minutes. My kids used to tell me that they didn’t want brussels sprouts because I bought the frozen boxes and heated it up. No, more. I buy fresh and give it a little roast with some olive oil.
Thanksgiving is coming and it’s good to have some dishes with sauces and then have some simpler dishes for those who don’t like it complicated. While you are making the dishes with many steps, the kids or your spouse could make this, easily.