The time has come to start the Thanksgiving dinner recipes. Dressing or Stuffing what’s the difference. Where I came from, everything was called stuffing, here in Ohio, mostly it’s called dressing so I always thought it was a regional thing. Whatever – you can also call it stuffing if you stuff it, and dressing if you don’t. Usually I don’t stuff the turkey, I bake the stuffing (or dressing) and serve it as a side dish – because I like it that way. I love apples and pecans in my dressing (stuffing) and sometimes I throw in some raisins. Here’s a recipe developed by the Deen Brothers. Oven dried bread means cube it and toast it on low until the bread is dry enough to use for stuffing.
Southern Apple Pecan Dressing
Recipe created by Jamie and Bobby Deen on behalf of the Grain Foods Foundation
Servings – 8
PreHeat – 350°
Prep Time – 20 min
Cooking Time – 1 hr
Total Time – 1 hr 20 min
Difficulty – Easy
- 10 cups oven-dried white bread, torn into pieces
- 1 sleeve crackers, crumbled (recommended: Saltines)
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3 stalks, roughly chopped
- 1 large onion, roughly chopped
- 2 large red apples, skins left on and cut into large dice
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground sage
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup pecan halves, toasted and roughly chopped
In an extra large mixing bowl, toss together white bread and crackers. Set aside.
In a large skillet over medium heat, melt butter. Stir in celery, onion,apples, sage and poultry seasoning. Cook until onion is translucent. Pour vegetable mixture over bread mixture. Add stock, salt and pepper. Stir to coat. Add beaten eggs and mix well. Stir in Nuts. Pour mixture in a prepared 9×13 baking pan.
Bake until golden on the top and cooked through with a slight jiggle (45-60 minutes).
Tell us, are you a stuffing, or dressing person? What kind do you like best?
Related posts you might also like:
- Apple Raisin Stuffing
- Shrimp Bisque
- Are you ready for Cinco De Mayo? Try Spicy Taquitos with Tabasco Dipping Sauce
- Celebrate Cinco De Mayo with Sargento’s Cheese
- New Castle Brown Ale Recipes
- Taste of Home’s 2010 Quick, Cheap and Easy Superbowl Recipes
- The Best Berry Muffins You’ll Ever Eat
- Hearty Cream of Potato Soup.
- Mediterranean Easter Recipes
- Pecan Chocolate Cookie Bars