I made this spaghetti squash medley when my cousins visited the other day. I wanted a special side dish, that would seem summery and light, and also would use some of the vegetables I grow in my garden. The spaghetti squash itself was the only vegetable I didn’t have planted, but I may try it next year.
I cooked this dish in the microwave because it was hot out, and I knew my energy conserving husband would not approve of heating up the whole oven to bake a small dish when we were trying to keep the house cool. First, I had my husband saw the spaghetti squash in half. After scooping out the seeds, I placed each half in a glass dish and microwaved it for 8 minutes. Then I let the spaghetti squash cool so I could handle it. Using a fork, you drag it through the flesh to scrape it out and it comes out looking a little like spaghetti.
- 1 spaghetti squash – deseeded, cooked and forked
- 1 yellow summer squash
- 1 carrot
- 1 small red pepper
- 1 small green pepper
- dill weed
- olive oil
Cut the remaining vegetables into small pieces and then steam to soften. (I did that in the microwave also). Combine with the spaghetti squash into the glass pan, splash a little oil, salt and pepper as desired and heat up again. I used the microwave, but you can also use the oven. This dish is light, delicious and pretty, but the picture above does not do it justice. My husband is not a squash fanatic, but he liked it, my mom loved it and I did also. Since we wanted to visit with our company, I made it ahead and stuck it in the fridge to be reheated quickly at the right time.
Note:You can cook the spaghetti squash in an oven without cutting it open – 350deg/45 min. It is easier to cut in half after it has been cooked and you won’t need your husband to saw it for you. Let it cool completely before trying to handle.
Related posts you might also like:
- Spaghetti Squash and Roasted Vegetables
- Cold Spaghetti Squash Salad
- Butternut Squash under a Swiss Cheese Crust
- Lemony Bulgur and Spaghetti Squash
- Swiss Chard, Spaghetti Squash, Chicken and Mushrooms in a Maple Basalmic Vinaigrette
- Butternut Squash with a Maple Bourbon Glaze
- Honey Spice Acorn Squash with Cinnamon Apples
- Crockpot Barbecued Chicken Dinner – Excellent Rating From My Son
- Ground Turkey, Butternut Squash and Rice Bake
- Summer Garden Omelet for Two