I love sweet potatoes and kale, such a great healthy combination. How are your winter stores holding up? The sweet potatoes were in our basement cold storage and holding up really well. These were potatoes we grew from slips in our garden, so I’m thrilled to have them in such good shape in February.
We have been picking up a market bag from a grocer. Each week is a surprise, but usually contains greens, fruit (apples, pears, oranges) some sort of grain, and usually bread and veggies. Most of it is organic, and as much as possible local – not easy to do this time of year. Last week we received some dinosaur kale. Lovely bright and green dinosaur kale.
Recently I saw an episode of The Chew where Michael Symon attempted a 5 in 5 – which he failed to complete on time, but it had the ingredients I love together – sweet potatoes and swiss chard. I took his idea of grilling the sweet potatoes and sauteeing the chard, but substituted kale. Instead of a vinaigrette, I squeezed an orange over top and grated orange zest over top. While the sweet potato was grilling I sprinkled cinnamon over top. Toasting crimini mushrooms and pine nuts to sprinkle over top for the finish. My son and I enjoyed this meal a lot, and it was very filling.
- 2 large or 3 medium sweet potatoes sliced into planks
- 1 shallot sliced
- bunch of dinosaur kale
- 1 orange (zest and juice)
- ⅛ cup pine nuts
- ½ cup crimini mushrooms chopped
- Olive oil
- Lay sweet potato planks on oiled grill pan and sprinkle with cinnamon.
- In a saute pan, melt 2 tbs butter and toast mushrooms and pine nuts.
- Take the mushrooms and pine nuts out of the pan and place on a dish.
- Add olive oil to the saute pan.
- Saute shallots until soft.
- Slice the dinosaur kale across the width and add to the shallots.
- Flip the sweet potato planks when one side is soft and has grill marks.
- Grate orange zest and squeeze orange juice over top of the dinosaur kale.
Related posts you might also like:
- Low Sodium Swiss Cheeseburger Stuffed Mushrooms
- Sausage, Swiss Chard and Sweet Potato Fritatta
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Potatoes
- Parmesan Penne & Kale
- Eggs and Tatsoi in a Sweet Potato Nest
- Beef Tenderloin with a Mushroom Wine Reduction
- Chicken, Kale and Potatoes
- Italian Sausage, Tomato & Cabbage Stew(p)
- Thanksgiving Potato Recipes
- Friday Unwind – Yummy Citrusy Spring Fever