Is hard cider really an ale or beer? No, probably not but it’s what I’m going with this weekend. My husband and I have tried some hard ciders and are enjoying the crisp clean but fizzy apple taste of Angry Orchard varieties. Hard Cider is becoming more and more popular as the alcohol of choice at gatherings. It’s not more popular than wine or beer but it’s making advances. I can see it being used in braising liquids in place of beer or soda too.
- My favorite is the Apple ginger which seems a little less sweet, though it could use a bit more of the ginger bite(heat?) that I enjoy.
- Crisp Apple was appropriately named with a nice sweet crisp apple flavor – the downside to this one was that we drank it way too fast. You can forget that it’s hard cider until you start to feel the effects.
- The Classic is more of a dry hard cider, less sweet but still great apple flavor.
Hard Apple Ciders are growing in popularity and becoming easier to find. When I went to the Cincinnati Beerfest last year a friend who has to live a gluten free life was looking for beers or ales that worked, and the hard ciders were represented there. Angry Orchards is located in Cincinnati, though it is part of the Samuel Adams Brand. All of the ciders are about 5.0 % ABV – lightly alcoholic, very tasty and perfect for a friendly gathering but be careful, it goes down too quickly.
I can see that hard cider would be great in recipes, or mixed drinks. My husband likes it too, so it’s not just a chick drink. This weekend Angry Orchard but just so you know, we’ve got some other hard ciders waiting in the wings. We want to expand and we liked this one so much we’re going to try more of them.
Angry Orchards Hard Ciders were sent to me for a review. The opinion expressed is my own honest assessment.
Related posts you might also like:
- Root Vegetable Casserole in White Wine Sauce
- Friday Unwind – Zombie Killer Cider Mead
- What I’m Drinking – Leinenkugel’s Berry Weiss
- Sparkling Sugarplum Cocktail for your Friday Night Unwind
- Friday Night Unwind – Thanksgiving Dessert Cocktails
- Happy New Year
- Reed’s Ginger Brews
- Need a Refreshing Drink? Try These.
- Cinnamon Apples
- Roasted Apple and Butternut Squash