Like many people, I’m always on the lookout for food with health benefits. And, like many more people, I absolutely love love love garlic and put it in practically everything I make. So I was delighted to find out that not only does it ward off vampires, but it is good for you too.
Certain culinary traditions, such as some Asian and
The research was done on the equivalent of two cloves a day. That is no problem for a garlic addict like myself, but, for a garlic novice that might seem like a daunting amount. Here are three garlicious ideas for getting more garlic:
- STUFF IT! I can’t get enough garlic stuffed olives (pictured above). In fact, when my local Wegman’s decided to no longer offer them at my olive bar, I called around until I found a Wegman’s that stocks them. I now shop in the next town over. With gas at $4 a gallon, this is a serious garlic/olive commitment! Find them in your supermarket’s olive bar (hopefully nearby!) and you can probably source them jarred at your local Italian foods market.
- PICKLED GARLIC? My brother recently got some as a gift. Even my garlic loving self was hesitant to try a pickled garlic clove. But one bite put my fears to rest. The pickling vinegar definitely mellows the garlic’s tanginess, making the cloves smooth and delicious. And they’re surprisingly kid friendly! Available online here or you can make some.
- GARLIC SPREAD. 1 head garlic, roasted. 2-3 TBL olive oil. Pinch salt. Freshly grated parmesan cheese and freshly chopped basil. Squeeze the cloves and mix with the olive oil using a mortar and pestle or a mini food processor. Stir in cheese and basil to taste. Spread on fresh Italian bread for a snack or appetizer.
Don’t forget to brush your teeth!
Related posts you might also like:
- Eggplant Basil Panini
- Bean salads: healthy fast food
- Celebrate National Garlic Day with New York Style Snacks
- Italian Sausage, Tomato & Cabbage Stew(p)
- Basil Potatoes
- Panini of Heirloom Tomatoes, Pancetta and Basil Mascapone
- Smashed Cauliflower Potatoes
- Shredded Vegetable Bake
- Lemongrass-Basil Yellow Squash and Potatoes
- Rosemary & Garlic Roasted Rack of Lamb